Why no 5.0 on new Expy’s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Numbers

They only offer engine options on trucks with deep 6 digit sales figures

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford is/was trying to kill off the Expedition and push buyers over to the high profit F150.

If ford was trying to kill the expy wouldnt they just sit on it like they did for a decade instead of doing a massive redesign?

I have no idea why ford refuses to put a small block v8 in the expy but I find it hard to believe it’s because they want families to buy pickups instead? Full size SUV’s are some of the most profitable vehicles ford sells...

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2018/02/13/why-ford-is-rushing-to-build-more-big-suvs.aspx

Last edited:

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They probably had it in a Union contract that the Cleveland Engine plant would make *** number of 3.5L EB engines per year. Ford then had to find a place to put them all. Some go to F-150s, some go to Explorers, and if they put nothing but 3.5L EBs in the Expedition that would take care of a good number of obligated engines.

I for one did not want a V-6 in my truck. I had always had Ford V-8 in all of my vehicles. (351C-4V, 289, 351W, 5.0L). So when I went looking for a Expedition, I had cut off my search list to 2014s and earlier. But the more I looked, the more the 2015 Models looked better to me. So I bit the bullet and got one.

Wow, those turbos really put some energy into that V-6. At like 365HP, this is the most powerful engine I have had. My only fear is high dollar repair costs. So I take care to use good oil, change regularly, use catch can, drive sensibly, tune ups, etc..).

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I for one did not want a V-6 in my truck. I had always had Ford V-8 in all of my vehicles. (351C-4V, 289, 351W, 5.0L).
I bet you liked the power that old 4V Cleveland put out. I had 4V BOSS 351 Cleveland shoved in a 69 Fastback Back in the day. She was a solid lift screaming hellion. I’ve got the 390 GT FE in my Eliminator with a bunch of head work done (porting/polishing, multi-angle valve job, port matched with Performer RPM Intake) and that old Boss 351 would’ve given me a fit in a drag.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, those turbos really put some energy into that V-6. At like 365HP, this is the most powerful engine I have had.
Yeah the 3.5 EB is assembled at the right engine plant. Even the BOSS 302 was technically considered a Cleveland because of the Cleveland cylinder heads. That plant is very familiar with producing bad ass engines.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They need the V-6 to meet CAFE standards. They know if they offer V-8s, fewer would buy a V-6 and their corporate mileage would suffer. Perhaps with the relaxing of CAFE requirements by Trump yesterday we'll see an ability to offer more of what customers want.

THIS. And die hard pickup drivers can be more wary of the 3.5 as "new fangled technology." Same reason you won't see an IRS F150--it has to do with the marquee and monitoring of your buyers.

For instance, there are some people who will never own an SUV vs. a pickup (and vice-versa) b/c of the image they want to portray (some HOAs don't even allow pickups for that reason).

Given my druthers, I LOVE the 3.5 but will always *wonder* (whether real or perceived) about its future complexities out of warranty, or past 100K, etc. So if I wanted my Ex to be my forever vehicle, I would choose the 5.0. However, for life at elevation, turbos take less of an atmospheric hit.

YMMV

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ecoboost is great for doing double duty as a family hauler and tow vehicle. I had to replace my minivan because I bought a travel trailer. But I'm beginning to wonder about the quality of Ford's engineering, as I'm hearing some intermittent evidence of timing chain stretch on startup in my 2017.

I have an extended warranty until 125k and am currently at 98k. I'll probably dump it within the next 24 months and upgrade to a 2019, again with an extended warranty. The disappointing thing is that Ford had issues with the timing chains on the 5.4 v8 as well. Rudiculous that the issue hasn't been solved.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It appears that most of the heavier cars are engineered for 150,000 trouble free miles and most attain that. What we've been seeing with these motors usually occurs at mileage exceeding this. I don't know if manufacturers really care much about durability past this mark.

The bummer isn't the stretched timing chain or worn guide, it's the ridiculously excessive amount of work needed to complete what's a very basic repair. I suppose they simply don't care what happens once the thing's well out of warranty.

If you want durability and ease of repairs, follow the fleets. Many truck fleets are self-maintained and that market just won't support a model that can't be easily serviced in-house. Hence the variety engine choices in the F-series pickups.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ecoboost is great for doing double duty as a family hauler and tow vehicle. I had to replace my minivan because I bought a travel trailer. But I'm beginning to wonder about the quality of Ford's engineering, as I'm hearing some intermittent evidence of timing chain stretch on startup in my 2017.

I have an extended warranty until 125k and am currently at 98k. I'll probably dump it within the next 24 months and upgrade to a 2019, again with an extended warranty. The disappointing thing is that Ford had issues with the timing chains on the 5.4 v8 as well. Rudiculous that the issue hasn't been solved.

No “timing chain” issues per say on the 5.4 Triton....just the plastic stuff around the chains that breaks and lets it flop around under the cover. The tensioner gaskets go and let the chain bust the guides up. The EcoBoost actually physically stretches the chain and then it flops around.

Last edited: