Why not to follow Ford service intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this video out there, points are all very true. Explains why today’s extended maintenance intervals are a farce

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Makuloco's videos are the best! But I think his recommendation for changing differential and transmission fluid every 30,000 is a bit extreme. For regular service, I usually let it go about 80K - 100K miles and the trucks last well into 300,000 miles. I suppose it depends on operating temperatures, use and abuse, quality of lubricants and a little luck. For the record, I believe Ford says they never have to be changed.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on the year. On the 2018 Expedition the recommended change is 150,000 miles for transmission, differentials, and transfer case. For coolant it is 100,000 miles initially. Then the manual says every three years or 5,000 miles for coolant. I believe the 5,000 miles is a typo(maybe Chinese translation?) in the manual and should be 50,000 miles.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on the year. On the 2018 Expedition the recommended change is 150,000 miles for transmission, differentials, and transfer case. For coolant it is 100,000 miles initially. Then the manual says every three years or 5,000 miles for coolant. I believe the 5,000 miles is a typo(maybe Chinese translation?) in the manual and should be 50,000 miles.

I get the feeling you didn’t watch the video because he tells you and shows you exactly why ford and the manual are wrong. The 2018 Expy is no different from any other ford vehicle.

Last edited:

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get the feeling you didn’t watch the video because he tells you and shows you exactly why ford and the manual are wrong. The 2018 Expy is no different from any other ford vehicle.
I have seen his videos before and actually agree with them, I am just quoting the manual based on Trainmasters last sentence. I have a 2006 F350 DRW 2WD. Gets the trans fluid replaced every 30k and the coolant, trans filters, and diff fluid every 60K. I haven't decided yet, but the trans and diff will get serviced at either 50 or 60k. I do not believe in forever fluids.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been doing this for years no matter the vehicle.

5k miles:
Oil and filter
Rotate and balance Tires

15k miles:
Air filter

50k miles:
ALL fluids
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2006 was the last year for the 4 speed transmission, and yes 30k is a safe bet. The long life fluid started in the next year, and recommendation for changing the fluid quadrupled and then some. 150 k is way too long for any tranny fluid. We've had this discussion so many times, and time and again we all said 80k for the long life fluid. I know it's a pain to get at that little dipstick and all, but clean fluid, like clean oil is the best way to go. Of course theirs always some one that never changes trans fluid or super long oil change, but most of us don't have that kind of good luck.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
I'm old school - you know, 3 months or 3K miles on the LOF service. Tires rotated at TIRE mfr's recommendation. I get hinky once it's been 50K since last transmission service. Coolant every two seasons. Walk around and check under the hood at least once a week. Up here in the Wisconsin Northwoods is no place for preventable vehicle failure. Besides, this is one of the neatest vehicles I've owned and I want to keep it nice.:cheers:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bruce, you can tell by your vernacular that you were old school. You've got 3 months on me, I'm July,55. L.O.F is a word kids 40 and under think is a way not to do work! I'm with you on the maintenance schedules, but your preaching to a throw away crowd that make over $75,000 per. In the Bay area it's over $125,000. To them, the mentality is it starts why bother. And if it breaks I'll get an Uber, or rental sent to the dealer. Back in the 70's growing up, and learning cars/ motorcycles, never had money to fix broken cars. Had money just enough for tools, and the parts. I just tore into them, asked friends and shops nearby when I got stuck. Bought or accuried a lot of books. To this day, I cringe everytime I drop the Green giant off for anything. I ended up repairing my tire myself after paying Goodyear to seal the bead. Turned out to be a plug that someone else did. I guess old school is better than saying he's an old f##k!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360