Why oh why does this keep leaking?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ediddily

Reaction score
07 xlt
Recently had to replace the water pump. While I was in there I replaced:
Water pump
Radiator
Thermostat
Radiator hoses
Reservoir hose
Heater hoses from firewall
Outlet hose flange

Now its sprung a small leak from the aux heater hose/90° plastic clip on elbow,
Another small leak from the Reservoir hose where it hooks onto the Reservoir outlet flange,
And now a large one under the new Radiator without leaving any trace of where it came from.

Also to note, before all these new leaks just got back from a long trip towing a travel trailer through Idaho mountains and Nevada desert without issue. But around town starts leaking.

Can a faulty Reservoir cap not relieving the excess pressure be the cause? Its nearly the only thing I haven't changed.
Other suggestions are welcome and wanted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ediddily

Reaction score
I think I realized the problem. I left the Reservoir cap loose and the coolant ended up boiling out due to the unconfined pressure in the system.
Pressure=higher boiling point.
In the end I replaced the cap and tightened it down.
Still just the auxiliary heater line leaking. Will be replacing those this weekend.

Last edited:

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you have pressure reduces the boiling point. If i remember from auto school correctly each pound of pressure raises the boiling point.can't remember the amount of degres. other wise why would they use a pressure cap

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
YEARS AGO SAW A FEW RADS OR HOSES BLOWN BY WRONG PRESSURE CAPS.PEOPLE WOULD JUST STICK ON ANYTHING THEY HAD!!! CAP SHOULD HAVE PSI MARKED ON IT AND MATCH SPECS FOR APPLICATION.

OP
OP
E

ediddily

Reaction score
The pressure is 16psi. Its a low pressure system. The new cap is rated for 16psi.
Also, all leaks have stopped but the rear auxiliary lines. Below is my plan as the rear hoses are flaky to the touch and quick connect fitting still leaks and I dont want to route new metal pipes between the frame and body:

Cut the rear auxiliary metal 5/8" supply/return lines, put a double flare on each, put new 5/8" hoses over the flares with clamps to 5/8" x 3/4" quick connect adapter in to the rear auxiliary core.

Sound like it would work?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni