Wife says “...you should buy a new truck...”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My 2000 XLT was $31K. A 2019 XLT, with leather is about $50K after rebates. The new Hyundai Palisade is close to $45K. The problem with the 1st Gen Expedition was, potential F150 owners, were buying them. Ford makes big profit on the pickups(40%). It also wants to claim 'the best selling pickups for 20+ years'. For a decade, the Expedition was given almost no upgrades. The designing has gone more SUV/minivan, than truck. The lack of the V8, was another loss.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 XLT was $31K. A 2019 XLT, with leather is about $50K after rebates. The new Hyundai Palisade is close to $45K. The problem with the 1st Gen Expedition was, potential F150 owners, were buying them. Ford makes big profit on the pickups(40%). It also wants to claim 'the best selling pickups for 20+ years'. For a decade, the Expedition was given almost no upgrades. The designing has gone more SUV/minivan, than truck. The lack of the V8, was another loss.

So.... why not call it the F150-megacab (or F153 or something) and count em all?

Toyota did that with a very different coupe/convertible model marketed as Solara, but counted as Camry sedan for "America's favorite passenger car" purposes

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I’m looking into the power options on F250 and GMC Denali 6.2 gassers. No thanks on the EB engines. V8’s are simpler.

MrsHarper

Reaction score
What does the future look like without buying anything new? Keep your 1st gen that you have obviously done well keeping. It is logical to update before you retire; however, how much longer do you think you can keep your 1st gen running?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
What does the future look like without buying anything new? Keep your 1st gen that you have obviously done well keeping. It is logical to update before you retire; however, how much longer do you think you can keep your 1st gen running?
No car payment for starters. If he can maintain it cheap, he is ahead. The 1st gen can last well beyond 300K.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Re the new 2020 Silverado:
"Superficially, the choice comes down to horsepower or fuel economy. A 4x4 with the V8 gets 17 mpg combined, while the diesel gets 25 mpg combined. But the V8 makes 420 horsepower, to the diesel’s 277 horses. So the gas truck is quick and thirsty while the diesel is slower and thriftier, right? Yes, but that’s not all there is to it.

While the big V8 is unquestionably quicker when you’re going wide-open-throttle, the two engines don’t feel wildly different in normal driving. Both engines make plenty of torque—460 lb-ft of it—but the diesel delivers it by 1,500 rpm, while the gas engine needs to rev up to 4,100 rpm. As a result, the smaller six feels effortlessly powerful, while the 6.2-liter always seems to be working harder (because it is).

And this might confound your expectations, but the diesel is smoother than the gas engine. A straight six is inherently balanced, and the diesel’s advanced fuel injection system smothers all but a trace of compression-ignition clatter. The fuel injection system runs at 36,250 psi, with nine-hole injectors delivering fuel up to 10 times per combustion cycle.
With that kind of precision, you can fine-tune not only power output, but noise and refinement as well. The difference between the engines is most noticeable in part-throttle cruising on flat roads, where the diesel is near-silent but the V8 is cutting cylinders, which increases efficiency but results in noticeable changes in both the exhaust note and vibration making its way to the cabin.

Towing is one area where the V8 has a definite advantage, with the 6.2’s tow rating topping out at 13,400 pounds to the diesel’s 9,300 pounds. So if you’re towing the sort of boat or RV that’s in that grey area at the top of a 1500 truck’s tow rating, the 6.2 is the better bet. However, towing at altitude might send the advantage back toward the Duramax, since its turbocharger can compensate for altitude while a naturally aspirated engine will lose power the higher you climb."

Dang. Gotta go drive one of these I6 Duramaxes.

Rob_V

Reaction score
97 Expedition XLT 5.4 Original owner now at 165K, I maintain. Plugs at 100K Full front suspension at 135K , rusted rear trailing arms, cracked plastic radiator tank, maybe one coil pack changed. It has the aluminum intake on it. I just did the DPFE sensor. Easy swap.

About 2 years ago i picked up a 2000 EB 5.4 138 K that was 1 owner by someone i know who dealer serviced it. Had 4 brand new Continentals on it. Got it for $2800. Mint inside and out. Advised me of the rough cold idle. I have been living with it. Plastic intake, gaskets no doubt I will change this in spring. Was always high fuel trims with no code, no throwing codes. Has a slight TC shudder in overdrive. Dr Tranny fixes for a while.

Also 03 Excursion 6.8 198K and 1984 F250 4.9 150k, Ford fusion 2009 2.3 105K. Regular maintenance on all and they lasting.

I cant see spending 50-70k on a new one with 3 kids in college, these things are so easy to work on. I am a youtube mechanic as well as this forum with heavy relying on a friend who is Ford master mechanic for advice. Retired law enforcment.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are willing to spend as much as 35K, why not just restore the one you've got? new (crate engine) drive train, etc., won't come close to half that 35K budget.