Will not shift out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxB37

Reaction score
2010 2wd Expedition has started having issues shifting out of park. The first time I turned it off then back on and it recovered first time. Now, thats not always the case and it's happening more frequently. I've done some reading but trying to narrow it down to what it is (brake lamp indicator, brake shift interlock actuator, fuse, etc).

When it happens, the button on the gear shifter (center console shifter) will not depress but I hear the click in the dash. The brake lights do NOT illuminate when this is happening either. I can keep fiddling with it and sometimes press the brake down really hard and it will recover and go into gear. It moves through the other gears fine after this and the shifter does not feel loose.

Hoping to narrow down the issue so I don't throw money at the wrong issue. Thanks in advance.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I had the same issue and it was the switch down at the brake peddle. Controls the brake lights and shift interlock. Part cost me $40 at the dealer

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, if you can see the switch, you might be able to reposition it and move it farther out so the plunger can fully disengage. The reason I'm saying this is you said if you step on the brake pedal really hard it disengages, so before you buy a new switch try adjusting its position. Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
T

TxB37

Reaction score
Just a thought, if you can see the switch, you might be able to reposition it and move it farther out so the plunger can fully disengage. The reason I'm saying this is you said if you step on the brake pedal really hard it disengages, so before you buy a new switch try adjusting its position. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm not mechanically inclined for the most part. I can and do change my own battery but that's about the jist of it. If I have to take it somewhere I want to at least half know what I'm talkimg about so they don't try to "get one over". I'll try to crawl under there this weekend when I have better daylight. Appreciate the advice

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I tried this on mine and it didn't help. After I replaced the switch I pulled the old one apart and the electrical contacts inside were all work out. I'll dig up the part number for you and get back

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TxB, if I remember correctly it is just a plunger switch that mounts on a plate you may even look to see if the plate is bent and just bend it back a little. When you push the pedal down the plunger should disengage the tab on the brake pedal. Otherwise I believe there are two nuts that you loosen the one toward the brake pedal and tighten the one behind it.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Stationary and motorized peddles share the same switch part number. Takes 5 minutes to swapScreenshot_2017-02-23-22-03-08.png

GalaxyPilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my guess is either the switch at the brake pedal as discussed. Or the actual solenoid in the shifter that disengages when the pedal is depressed, they tend to get gummed up from drinks spilled from the cup holders right next to them.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
my guess is either the switch at the brake pedal as discussed. Or the actual solenoid in the shifter that disengages when the pedal is depressed, they tend to get gummed up from drinks spilled from the cup holders right next to them.
But that wouldn't stop his brake lights from working... So... It's the switch! Pretty sure there is a TSB about this switch .......... (pooping) the bed because it's so common.

Last edited by a moderator: