Will the redesigned RWD Explorer hurt Expedition sales?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybes that's Ford's plan. People are struggling to purchase a $70,000 vehicle. Not everyone has Bill Gates money. I think it's a very smart move on Ford's part. Split the sales, 125,000 Expeditions, 125,000 Bronco's I remember back about 7 years ago, I was driving a Lincoln Town Car, doing Uber black here in San Francisco. A customer made a comment to me about the smaller/Uber x cars that were hitting the streets. He said for almost all situations, getting across town in a smaller, cheaper little Toyota Prius was just fine. He took the black Lincoln when he was trying to impress. Boss, parents, etc. Same goes for the smaller Bronco. Not all of us need, or want something this big. Now if Ford used their head, and made the new interior comfortable, and not cramped, like the past explorer, they'll have a winner on their hands. I haven't looked it up, but I'm guessing price around $40,000 to $55,000. If will fill a need, and price point. Let's hope Ford did their homework, and we don't have a sparkplug spitter, or phaser oil leaker.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think your right. What engine is it going to have? It's a Bronco, not explorer right?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just realized the Bronco won't hit till 2020. It's like the F150/Expedition platform. On Bronco, it shares the ranger platform that's out this year. Is the Explorer going to continue through 2020? Are they approximately the same size? Or is the Bronco going to replace it? Would be silly to have 2 mid sized SUVs but who knows, maybe theirs a customer for each.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broncos going to be tough. Consumers are disappointed it’s a mid size with a 4 cylinder ecoboost. People wanted a full size with the 5.0L.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i say bring on the new model so the prices of the current gen will go down into my price range!!

Now I see they are going rwd....Darn..Now I want one of those!

But I would more than likely have 4wd or is it just awd in the 10 and up Explorers and DO they have a low range? I bet not.

I am not a fan of transverse engines and fwd. But with the newer ones being so set back...a transverse is sometime easier to get to things to work on.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Their market is young people who have a few bucks and few know anything about cars. It will be more about fashion and pricing than utility.

Right now in New York, 23-year-olds lease new Grand Cherokees, lift them, outfit them with off road nonsense and then drive them only on the streets. They can do this with Broncos, spend less money and look less like Soccer Moms.

Think Ford will make 'em with fake engine noise?