Will the redesigned RWD Explorer hurt Expedition sales?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cmiles97, Feb 10, 2019.

1. cmiles97

cmiles97 Full Access Members

2. Black

Black Full Access Members

Doubtful.
    Did it hurt sales prior to 2011?

JExpedition07 likes this.
  3. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Full Access Members

Certainly not!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

Maybes that's Ford's plan. People are struggling to purchase a $70,000 vehicle. Not everyone has Bill Gates money. I think it's a very smart move on Ford's part. Split the sales, 125,000 Expeditions, 125,000 Bronco's I remember back about 7 years ago, I was driving a Lincoln Town Car, doing Uber black here in San Francisco. A customer made a comment to me about the smaller/Uber x cars that were hitting the streets. He said for almost all situations, getting across town in a smaller, cheaper little Toyota Prius was just fine. He took the black Lincoln when he was trying to impress. Boss, parents, etc. Same goes for the smaller Bronco. Not all of us need, or want something this big. Now if Ford used their head, and made the new interior comfortable, and not cramped, like the past explorer, they'll have a winner on their hands. I haven't looked it up, but I'm guessing price around $40,000 to $55,000. If will fill a need, and price point. Let's hope Ford did their homework, and we don't have a sparkplug spitter, or phaser oil leaker.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

cmiles97 likes this.
  5. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

Moose, it will spit or leak. --maybe both. I'll bet anyone here.

6. 1955moose

I think your right. What engine is it going to have? It's a Bronco, not explorer right?

7. 1955moose

Just realized the Bronco won't hit till 2020. It's like the F150/Expedition platform. On Bronco, it shares the ranger platform that's out this year. Is the Explorer going to continue through 2020? Are they approximately the same size? Or is the Bronco going to replace it? Would be silly to have 2 mid sized SUVs but who knows, maybe theirs a customer for each.

8. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Full Access Members

Broncos going to be tough. Consumers are disappointed it’s a mid size with a 4 cylinder ecoboost. People wanted a full size with the 5.0L.

9. TobyU

TobyU Full Access Members

i say bring on the new model so the prices of the current gen will go down into my price range!!

Now I see they are going rwd....Darn..Now I want one of those!

But I would more than likely have 4wd or is it just awd in the 10 and up Explorers and DO they have a low range? I bet not.

I am not a fan of transverse engines and fwd. But with the newer ones being so set back...a transverse is sometime easier to get to things to work on.

10. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

Their market is young people who have a few bucks and few know anything about cars. It will be more about fashion and pricing than utility.

Right now in New York, 23-year-olds lease new Grand Cherokees, lift them, outfit them with off road nonsense and then drive them only on the streets. They can do this with Broncos, spend less money and look less like Soccer Moms.

Think Ford will make 'em with fake engine noise?

Eagle 71 likes this.