Windows wont go up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gregc729

Reaction score
Ok folks I have a 1999 ford expodition I put all the windows down now they wont go up ... I checked all the swithces on each door and nothing works... I pulled the drivers side master switch pannel on the door and checked for 12v.. There is a harness going to the front windows and a harness going to the back windows... I found 12v going to the harness going to the front window but nothing going to the back window Could this be the master switch needs to be replaced ... any help would be great it rained last night just my luck... Thank you and have a great holidays

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well in the meantime if you need to get them up, you can take the door panels off and put 12 volts to the motor to roll them up. I forget which way it is, but positive on one terminal and negative on the other will roll it down, reversing them will put it up. Thats what we did when my Old Man's window quit working.

How To Install Replace Door Panel Ford F-150 Expedition 97-03 1AAuto.com - YouTube

That is for the door panel removal. Very similar on all of the doors. Also when it rains, do you get wet patches in the drivers side footwell or up underneath the dash? There is something called a GEM module that is responsible for misc. electronics including the windows I believe. Atleast the one-touch down function anyways. Here is a link to a thread to help with that should it be the case. Also check your fuses and make sure that they are all good too.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f42/first-gen-windshield-leak;-thermo-16058/

OP
OP
G

gregc729

Reaction score
Well I guess there is another problem I got a switch off e-bay put it in and the windows still dont work .... Can anyone tell me what I should check next thanks again !!!!

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First I would check the motor using the procedure FordandPolaris mentioned to see if the motor is good or not.

OP
OP
G

gregc729

Reaction score
I was able to get the windows up so its not a motor problem .. There is 2 plugs going to the master switch . I hooked up my meter to one of the pugs and got 12v. does it sound like a defected switch that I got off e-bay is there another fuses other than te one under the dash fuse pannel or a relay I should look at.... Thanks Greg .....Happy Holidays folks

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do your dome lights work? There is a 15A fuse down under the steering column in that fuse box that I pull at car shows to shut off my lights....when I pull that fuse it shuts off power to the windows too

OP
OP
G

gregc729

Reaction score
Hi yes I do have dome lights .. A Few other test I did 1 ran a cable from the battery to switch pins... Windows went up and down when polarity was changed
BUT when i ran a jumper on the positive of the window harnes and a neg on the neg side went to the window pins NOTHING .. But when I check the voltage on the end of the jumper there is 13.7 volts .. Also under the dash the fuse panel is I noticed there are 2 small relays # 1 & 2 Then there is 3 larger relays 3-4-5
I noticed that when i put number 5 relay back in that it clicked so I pulled 2 & 3 and put them back in no click ... Thought I had it but then i tried them in #5 and they each clicked ... should the other two click when u put them in if so what would cause them not too ... Strange that running power off the battery will allow the windows to go up and down but when i piggy back a while off the harness marked power and ground shows 12 wont let me put up and down the windows....running out of options hate to pay for a repair specialy around the holidays

OP
OP
G

gregc729

Reaction score
Ok another test I stripped a little rubber off the back side of the positive and neg wire on the harness ... I ran a wire from the battery to what I stripped pos & neg put the master switch in and the switched worked YAHOO ..

With no jumper from the battery i am getting 13.48 volts with the truck running
With the jumper from the battery I am getting 14.17 volts with the truck running .... Would not even a volt diffrence cause a issue .... Is there some type of relay or module not sending the propper current to the switch Thanks !!!!

OP
OP
G

gregc729

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED took off plastic molding next to emergency brake. Found light blue wire with black stripe ... Same wire up at the window plug harness .. Noticed ford put a slice on the wire cause it was to short One end of the plug shorted out and burn the connector ... cut there splice out and re-did the right way and problem was solved way to go FORD