Windshield washer not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john shelman

Reaction score
My 2003 Expedition, the sprayers for the windshield quit working, The one for the back window works fine. This vehicle is making me crazy. I bought it last summer, have had to replace coil packs and fuel pump and sensor on a front wheel. Runs great now, but no matter what I do, the darn service engine soon light keeps coming back on. Vehicle has 175,000 miles on it. starting to think there is no way to keep that light off.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull the hose that goes to one of the front spray nozzles. If it sprays out when you push the button, your problems a clogged nozzle. Easy to replace or clean. As far as the service engine light, that's clearable, but it's telling you to pull up the stored codes from the computer. Until you or a mechanic pull these and fix them, their going to keep coming back. It's giving you a warning, don't ignore it. That or get a hunk of tape. And cover the light! But when your SUVs starts knocking or running weird, don't say we didn't warn you.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's not some sort of blockage in the front line, the pump itself is fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. The same pump runs the front and the rear washer lines, there's just a two way check valve at the bottom of the pump and depending on what direction the pump motor turns determines which line gets fluid. They just go bad after many years and have to be replaced. Under $20 on Amazon. It's fairly easy to replace the pump. Be glad it's not a 3rd Gen Expy.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-WG312-Washer-Pump/dp/B00130HERI