Winter wheel/tire setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was originally going to just get a set of 22" snow tires and take em in every season and get them swapped out, but the more I think about it I think I want to get a set of wheels so I can just do it in my garage. I've only run Blizzaks before so I'm defiantly going with them, but for the wheels, what other sites besides Tirerack do you guys use? On tirerack I can get the Blizzaks with 18" wheels (American Racing AR945 Black) for around $2200. These are going on our new 22 Expy that's white with 304a.

Also, they come with the TPMS and tool, I assume it's pretty easy to reprogram each time I swap the sets out?

Anyone have any other recommendations for wheel/tire setups?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was originally going to just get a set of 22" snow tires and take em in every season and get them swapped out, but the more I think about it I think I want to get a set of wheels so I can just do it in my garage. I've only run Blizzaks before so I'm defiantly going with them, but for the wheels, what other sites besides Tirerack do you guys use? On tirerack I can get the Blizzaks with 18" wheels (American Racing AR945 Black) for around $2200. These are going on our new 22 Expy that's white with 304a.

Also, they come with the TPMS and tool, I assume it's pretty easy to reprogram each time I swap the sets out?

Will agree to stay with Blizzaks, hours of research showed in their favor, and my suggestion would be eBay for cheap used OEM 6x135 rims (the size rim you have). You'll be surprised how many there are.

markw1855

Reaction score

Please do take a picture when you get the 18inch on your new 22 304a.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Find yourself a set of used OEM 22s, whether they are from an Expy or an F150. Put winters on those. I do that on my Expy and F150, looks much better.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the OEM 22's for summer on Michelin Premier LTX. I run steel wheels for winter and dropped down to 18's with no issues. I did have Blizzak's and they were pretty unstoppable, until I ponied up for the Nokian Hakka 10 studded tires and those are a game changer. We are pretty north and at about 2000' elevation, so we get lots of snow and seriously cold temps (like -40C for weeks it seems). The studded Nokians are simply the best I have ever run, period. They are a bit noisy when temps are higher (above zero) so I usually wait until I know snow is forecasted to swap them. On the highway, the studs are a bit noisier as well, but it's not overpowering. 100% recommend Nokians.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blizzaks are best at being super loud, there are far better snow tires on the market now.

I've run some Contenintals snow tires and they are very quiet and dig hard than the Blizzaks I had. The Blizzaks should come with ear plugs lol

OP
OP
29twonine

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So on tire rack, if I add the TPMS it gives me the option to also buy the activation tool for $45. However, it also says that if you drive for 20 minutes the vehicle will learn the new sensors. Anyone know for sure if I need the tool or will the vehicle automatically learn the different sensors everytime I swap out the wheels?

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So on tire rack, if I add the TPMS it gives me the option to also buy the activation tool for $45. However, it also says that if you drive for 20 minutes the vehicle will learn the new sensors. Anyone know for sure if I need the tool or will the vehicle automatically learn the different sensors everytime I swap out the wheels?
My 2018 will not learn the new sensors.

lefty hack

Reaction score
I went to discount tire Pathfinder AT quiet and great tread. Utah snow and mud no match. I have 50000 on them and I think ill get through this winter still.
18" rims

Last edited:
OP
OP
29twonine

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to discount tire Pathfinder AT quiet and great tread. Utah snow and mud no match. I have 50000 on them and I think ill get through this winter still.
18" rims
Did your TPMS sensors swap over correctly or did you have to do anything special with them?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360