Wireless CarPlay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is bizarre to me.

They offer wireless charging, but not wireless CarPlay. Even using the MobileApps require the iPhone to be connected via USB. I never really thought of it until using it. My wife's Honda has the CarPlay USB ports in the large center console so the phone is hidden away. Trying to store the phone (and maintain a solid connection) is awkward, especially when you have two beverages and no real convenient place to store the phone while driving.

Anyone know of any updates coming to the Sync 3 system to support wireless CarPlay?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BMW is the only major manufacturer I know of that offers wireless CarPlay, and until this week they charged an annual fee to use it. I would not expect it to come to Ford any time soon.

There’s significant tech and licensing they have to arrange with Apple.

Highlightreel

Reaction score
When plugged in, I put my phone by my right shin in that slot on the side of the center console. Seems to work nice and helps hide the dumb cord.

But I do miss from my Chevy and wish Ford had incorporated a slot/cut-out in the middle of the arm rest.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is bizarre to me.

They offer wireless charging, but not wireless CarPlay. Even using the MobileApps require the iPhone to be connected via USB. I never really thought of it until using it. My wife's Honda has the CarPlay USB ports in the large center console so the phone is hidden away. Trying to store the phone (and maintain a solid connection) is awkward, especially when you have two beverages and no real convenient place to store the phone while driving.

Anyone know of any updates coming to the Sync 3 system to support wireless CarPlay?

Does your phone fit in the wireless charging pad area? You could plug it into the USB ports there and close the door to hide the phone. Wireless would be more convenient, but that works for me.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your phone fit in the wireless charging pad area? You could plug it into the USB ports there and close the door to hide the phone. Wireless would be more convenient, but that works for me.

How are you supposed to text, check email, stocks, etc and drive with it on the charging pad?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How are you supposed to text, check email, stocks, etc and drive with it on the charging pad?

Don't. Pretty simple. Text can be done via voice the rest just wait until its safe to do so at your destination.

OP, as nice as wireless CarPlay and AndroidAuto are I generally plug in, one because my commute is generally the time I charge my phone but it tends to be a more reliable connection. Wireless sometimes gives an error saying signal is low and you have to reach over and clear it depending on precisely where my phone is. Usually an issue if it's in a jacket pocket that I've tossed in back. Short trips (5min into town) or when I know I'll be in/out multiple times I use wireless but you're not missing out too much.

Its reasonably easy to install a flush mount USB anywhere you want one. They also make lightning cables as short as 6" to keep clutter to a minimum.

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It'll be available on some 2020 Ford models with Sync 4 but as we know the Expy is last to get everything and last I heard would be available with the 2021 Expy models.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try www.carplay2air.com for a converter that should work on SYNC3

I just read an article about carplay2air as well. There are some drawbacks (apparently there is a bit of lag, some infrequent audio glitches, your track info doesn’t display, and your steering wheel “next” and “back” button won’t work), and those are pretty significant. But it looks like a decent option otherwise.

https://apple.news/AACjDFeVIQ3O9SqFBR4IYaA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357