Wireless charger overheating iPhone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex Lou

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition XLT. I don’t know if this is common but when I charge my iPhone 8 on the wireless charging pad, my phone heats up very quickly but it charges very slow, much slower than my wireless charger at home. My phone doesn’t heat up at all when I use any other charger, even when fast charging with an iPad charger. What’s happening?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting Read on Wireless Charging:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...hone-x-what-is-wireless-charging-do-i-need-it

Does the phone heat up?
Yes, most phones and some chargers heat up slightly on the back where the wireless charging is taking place.

Smartphones typically heat up slightly when being charged via cable, so the difference is small in most cases and isn’t anything to worry about.

If it starts getting really hot, though, it could be a problem with the battery, as with Samsung’s fire-prone Galaxy Note 7.

So your battery and the charger in the Expy may not like one another. Since it is an induction process you may try spacing the phone away from the charging pad to reduce the em field. I would expect the charging time to increase.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My home charger charges way faster than the car. I've tried different cords, most are useless. The one piece curly cue cords seem to charge the fastest in the car chargers for phones and I phone tablets. Why your phone is hot doesn't sound right. You might have a battery failure going on with your phone. All items get warm when charging, but just slightly.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Alex Lou

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. But it doesn’t explain why the Expedition charger is the only charger, wireless or wired, that heats up the phone to uncomfortable levels. I’m actually afraid to charge it in the car.

OP
OP
A

Alex Lou

Reaction score
My home charger charges way faster than the car. I've tried different cords, most are useless. The one piece curly cue cords seem to charge the fastest in the car chargers for phones and I phone tablets. Why your phone is hot doesn't sound right. You might have a battery failure going on with your phone. All items get warm when charging, but just slightly.

I’m actually talking about wireless charging on the 2018 Expedition’s built in charging pad. That makes my phone uncomfortably warm. All my other wireless and wired chargers don’t heat up my phone. ONLY the Expedition’s built in wireless charger makes my phone hot. That’s not a defect with my phone.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alex, just read a post on Google that stated because it's magnetic induction, yes the phone will get warm. Seems to be a natural thing, and hopefully nothing to worry about. Sorry about previous post, I should have read it better.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The article states exactly what is happening - you have a moving magnetic field at the charger that is also moving through a coil in the phone. This generates electricity in the coil which then charges the battery in the phone.
What can vary between wireless chargers is the strength of the magnetic field and the frequency it cycles at.

OP
OP
A

Alex Lou

Reaction score
I understand variations among wireless chargers but typically if the device gets unusually hot, it’s because the charger is too powerful for the device. In my case, my phone gets hot but it charges extremely slow, much slower than my home wireless charger which doesn’t even make the phone feel warm.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This isn't the same but consider the cheaper 120v inverters. They put out 120v just like the more expensive inverters but there is a difference in the ac wave output. The cheap units are digital, more expensive units are pure sine wave. Electric motors run by electromagnetic interactions with other, the digital wave produces more heat as compared to pure sine wave. Your problem may be with the magnetic field produced by the charger.
An interesting test would be with an Android phone that also supports wireless charging. Does it get just as hot or just warm?