won't start, flashing dash light, locks won't unlock via power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred Valdez

Reaction score
Hello All,

2008 wth 5.4

I've now fallen into the situation I've read alot about. Actually, I have 2 problems that happened yesterday and am not sure if related. I went to a buddy's house to take him to airport. I got out and went to rear to open hatch..locked...instinctively I hit my fob a couple times and heard no actuation..hmm...went to check fuse for locking mechanism and it blew. Inserted a new one and hit the unlock button on door and heard the fuse pop again. So, I checked to make sure the expy would start, it did. Everything else seemed to be working ok (windows, radio, signals)...so I figured I'll just load via back doors and worry about locks later. A few minutes later i decided why don't i remove negative batt cable (bad move..lol)... when I reattached, the horn started blaring and usually I hit the key fob and everything resets...nope, so I removed the horn relay fuse to try and work on it. I tried a bunch of key stuff and shifting to D and back to P and the PATS light still blinks and no start. So I disconnected battery at this point and left expy at friends house and arranged another ride for him. I currently only have 1 key and a couple fobs (fobs bought online and programmed)...fobs work as the lights flash and headlights turn on. I think the key has lost its 'sync' to expy... I think the only option is to take it to dealer and have it synced up again... please let me know your advice or if there is anything else I'm not thinking about that I haven't tried yet. If I take it to dealer I may only have them fix the start/key issue and I'll work on the 'grounding' locks issue but we'll see.

thanks fellas...Fred

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a dealer trip. Modern computers are wonderful aren’t they (when they work).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fred Valdez

Fred Valdez

Reaction score
So, before i was gonna take to dealer i decided to have a locksmith come out and reprogram the key...he was able to reprogram but she still wouldnt start...i did mention then that i had pulled 2 fuses, the horn relay as i didnt want to disturb the neighbors and the power locks fuse which kept blowing. He told me i needed those back in to complete the cycle (which i was reluctant to believe). I installed them and sure enough, horn starts blaring. I quickly tell him to hit the unlock on fob and was surprised that the horn stopped...he turned the key and she started!!!! I didnt understand the logic beforehand and now believe what he said...go figure. Saved me a trip to the dealer!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ltharley

Reaction score
We have a similar ongoing problem with our 2004 EB. U tried to figure it out and couldn't find the cause. Not willing to pay anyone to repair the old beast
What has worked for us is not using the fob and only locking and unlocking with the access keys or door panel buttons.
Dennis

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No aftermarket alarm systems? Fob batteries replaced? (Yes fobs do NOT die "evenly" --- with low battery, some buttons may be 100%, others intermittent, and yet others totally gone, all on same fob... got a bimmer that needs fresh batteries to unlock trunk, for example, but otherwise works fine etc)

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You only have ONE key? I can't imagine doing that.
FWIW, Anyway, my 2008 had ONE key, and when I went to the locksmith they told me they could duplicate the code in it, but not the other original key's code. Apparently the original keys each one has a different code in it for some reason, and you need both to program a newly cut key to the car's computer.