Worn out steering wheel leather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Looks better than expected. The only other good choices are a new wheel from Ford ($280) or send it away to have it recovered ($325). People have also spray painted ("dyed") the leather and are happy with it but I don't know about that...

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that's the same one a friend of mine put on mine about 11 years ago. His wife sewed it on.
It was like 25-30 online. Real leather and you stitch it on.
It held up pretty well but I will just go for the 10.00 walmart or I bet cheaper on ebay, slip on ones. They both look alright to me.
SEM spray dye works well to refinish the wheels too.
2-3 coats and let dry thoroughly...then some leather conditioner or 303 etc.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about a quality rub on dye, like shoe cobblers use? My upper part is worn, should be for 19 years. I never liked spray dyes, rarely work. I like that one for under $40.00.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never found the rub ons to have the skin like of a good thick coat or spray dye.
You have to get the surface less porous so it doesn't soak in. I want a shiny slick almost plastic like coating..like new leather gym shoes.

Wal92tt

Reaction score
In the mid 90's, Honda sold one for my 1992 Civic at the time. Once I sewed it on, it looked like it came with the car from the factory! It's all in how you sew it on. The one the OP used looks good, but could look OEM with a different and tightly pulled stitch pattern.
On my 1999 EB I received in October, the top of the steering wheel is almost worn away and everything I've seen online just doesn't look great. You really want a folded over seam where the two ends meet at the stitching. The ones which are simply a strip of leather will never look factory unfortunately.
Anyway, last month for only $6.99 new, I found a decent pleather slip-on cover which actually looks good for what it is, until I find the right sewn-on cover. You never know what you'll find at Goodwill....

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It wasn't as cheap, but I had a company come out and repair my steering wheel leather, they painted /dyed it and it matches perfectly (You cant see where it was repaired), cost about $100 and took about 1.5 hours. That was 4 months ago and it is still perfect.. Another alternative.

Gary

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m using this stuff on mine once it’s warm enough out to cure right, some ultra fine grit paper on the top part then going to paint her up. Taping everything off will be fun:

View attachment 34691
1BCF1EEE-0261-4571-B4BD-D8C6EB5E1D47.jpeg

Last edited:

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tested this against your actual interior? I assume you have a Camel color interior in your 07? Just wondering how close a match it is. Thanks.