Would be nice to see this in a 2022 Expedition for the ones who would like a V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's got me wanting to find an '05 Excursion with the V10, and just garage it till the 7.3 can be found in a wrecked Super Duty.

I think you know where I'm going here...

Physically, the 7.3 gas engine will bolt in place of the V10, a 5.4, 4.6, or pretty much any variation of the Modular engines. So I was told.

We shall see....

The 7.3 Godzilla engine is available as a crate motor. No need to wait.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-73

vincentrose

Reaction score
Pretty sad when you cant get a V8 Engine in the Expy. Both Chevy and Dodge offer V8's in their SUVs, but Ford has to be the odd ball, and not even offer it in theirs

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The leftover 5.0s would work in the expy. Everything mentioned above is spot on. I do think however, a v8 option would add a huge base for the expy and would actually do wonders in bringing larger segment share as its the only segment product without that option. Most people would prefer the expy over the gms(before redesign) but disregarded it for not having a v8 opt. A no/low cost 5.0 option with 9k towing and 15 city 22 hwy econ in 4wd set up I think would nearly double sales of the expy.
I am in the market for a new Expy and the V6 Turbo does not appeal to me. These downsized turbo engines will require major service to make it to 150K miles. Even a poorly maintained V8 will outlast that by 100K.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’d be surprised many EcoBoosts go 200k+ they are pretty good these days. I still like my 5.4 Triton, almost 180k miles and the inside was clean as a whistle when I did the timing components in spring. Still gets 14 MPG around town. These cast iron modular V8’s are tough to beat over the long haul besides the front end woes

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A godzilla would be an interesting swap into a 2nd or 3rd gen. Wonder how difficult it would be to get the electronics and everything tuned and running well. It would breathe a totally different kind if life into one w the power that it makes.

An F250 weighing 1500lbs more than a 2020 expedition and being able to squeeze 15-16mpg in the real world is quite good. I imagine an expy could see 18 from the weight difference and most everyone i know would be fairly happy w that in an 8 passenger vehicle. I don't know anyone w an ecoboost expy that does better than 19-20 on a regular basis. For the more simple design and likely lower long term costs it would be the obvious choice if available in a new expy

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the 7.3 magic is the 10R140, but agreed super duty owners have been reporting impressive numbers

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting a standalone to run the engine/trans is the easy bit....

Getting that to communicate with the vehicle's systems is a whole different beast. I'm not THAT kind of a mechanic....being elbows deep in an old school 5.0 and knowing that old Windsor and Mustang stuff is my forte, engine swaps into vehicles with CANBUS is not.

But I stand by what I said. If I can get a 7.3 and 10 speed for under 10K, I'd seriously invest in the swap. Probably be better to start with a 5.4 truck though, likely the Ecoboost versions have much quite a bit different layouts in terms of fuel lines, mounts, and I'm not sure without searching if they use the same trans bell pattern.
I DO know the 7.3 is the same as all other mod engines in that aspect. I'm also told that it will bolt right into a vehicle with a Coyote. Mount locations are pretty similar.

I want to do it. Throw a roots on top and watch the world turn under the tires when you hit the fun pedal.