would you use a chinese part on your exped? (rear window strut)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Huh? Tell that to the neighbor who loses his job because you're doing him a service buying Chinese stuff. Sounds like you're only thinking about your wallet. I really doubt you'll find ANY Communist Chinese ANYTHING that's better quality than its American original.
If you are going to quote the guy, don't edit out KEY WORDS in his point.
This is a common trick people use to twist words and meanings.
It's part of "people talking past each other" and not listening and is disingenuous.

You should but probably won't study the history of design/manufacturing in the second half of the 20th century in the US. Think PINTO for example. Maybe focus on Xerox in the 80's to start. No offense but this is a nuanced and somewhat complicated topic. One has to be able to see the forest for the tree's and also not be extremely short sighted to understand the point that confused you.

And to start throwing in the term "Communist" pretty much is a marker for the mentality.

By the way, before the small minded start pounding on me for this. I also go out of my way to buy American and buy local where I can. I'll even gladly spend extra money to do that. But quality is not determined by how much something costs or where it comes from. Quality is inherent in the product.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I understand it's a complex issue; not simply black and white. I'm sure you get my point - that I buy domestically where I can for a myriad of reasons and causes. I can leave it at that, or simply invoke the quality issue, which I believe is significant on its own.

It has appeared to me that most auto parts made in China don't live up to their domestic originals. Some may, and their product will improve if a demand for quality escalates, as it has in the OEM stuff made there.

Manufacturers know their markets, and the China manufacturers and American parts-store chains seem to cater to those seeking the cheapest ball joint money will buy. Didn't mean to offend with my negative reference to Communist manufacturing. I simply abhor the ideology, but that's a different story.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's part of "people talking past each other" and not listening and is disingenuous.
You used the word disingenuous wrong but good try.

The issue of buying Chinese products is similar. I would not hesitate to buy one, but if unsatisfactory, return it for a better product.

You have gone into a global economy talk and make a damn good point but, that is not the point here. It has nothing to do with Chinese workmanship.
It has to do with the Billions of cheaply made (on purpose) Inferior products (knock offs for you sticker) that China flooded our shores with trying to take down our economy. But by all means keep buying the communist inferior products. See you on the side of the road.

If you would like to talk about world economics start a thread in the lounge, I would join in on that one.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
If you are going to quote the guy, don't edit out KEY WORDS in his point.
This is a common trick people use to twist words and meanings.

You should but probably won't study the history of design/manufacturing in the second half of the 20th century in the US. Think PINTO for example. Maybe focus on Xerox in the 80's to start. No offense but this is a nuanced and somewhat complicated topic. One has to be able to see the forest for the tree's and also not be extremely short sighted to understand the point that confused you.

And to start throwing in the term "Communist" pretty much is a marker for the mentality.

By the way, before the small minded start pounding on me for this. I also go out of my way to buy American and buy local where I can. I'll even gladly spend extra money to do that. But quality is not determined by how much something costs or where it comes from. Quality is inherent in the product.

So a Chinese car quality is the same as German car quality?

Quality in manufacturing is greatly influenced by the origin of manufacturer. See Japanese quality vs fill in the blank.

I don’t think you know what you’re talking about ...respectfully speaking as one who’s travel all through EU including the UK and Nordics, all of LATAM.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Reading some of the posts by economists here explains part of the reason our country is where it is today.

Next we’ll have virologists here explain to us all what COVID really is and the final answer on mask wearers.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why does everyone always associate German cars as the standard for quality? They have their fair share of failures like anything else and often many times more expensive than even premium american brands plus long lead times for parts which drives up other associated costs like a rental and speciality tools for even mundane items increasing an already pricey vehicle into an even higher TCO. I don't think German cars last much beyond the 200k you're starting to see out of several domestics, at least of the ones people I know own.

Chinese, American, I try to purchase whatever the best solution is. Most of the time thats the highest quality I can obtain which may or may not be from the US though many times in life accepted quality has been determined by budget. Even as bad as some of the Chinese parts are they are typically better than a failing/extremely worn whatever it is that you're replacing. I'd rather the guy on the hwy have a China ball joint than one with 273k on it wobbling around while cruising at 75 because he's $50 short of affording the US version.

You want to talk about imported garbage, try shopping for furniture today. Its almost impossible to find something decent unless you're going all the way to the ultra high end. Its either some skin glued to cardboard for $799 or a $13k sofa it seems. Wife and I are looking into leather living room set and its impressive how much effort is put into making a typically premium product lesser quality and "cheap", there is virtually no middle ground in the market.

Plati

Reaction score
So a Chinese car quality is the same as German car quality?

Quality in manufacturing is greatly influenced by the origin of manufacturer. See Japanese quality vs fill in the blank.

I don’t think you know what you’re talking about ...respectfully speaking as one who’s travel all through EU including the UK and Nordics, all of LATAM.
I definitely am not an expert in any of this, but I do know a few things .. I think.

I can't for the life of me figure out what you're talking about ... did I say "Chinese car quality is the same as German car quality"? It's impressive all that travelling you did but what does that have to do with US auto manufacturing in the 70's or Xerox in the 80's? Do you know a lot about those 2 subjects? Somehow all these points are all getting mixed together. The 70's or 80's is not 2021. China is not Germany. A statement that applies to one country and time period is not necessarily true for a different place & time.

Are there even any Chinese cars in the US? I think China bought Volvo who had quality problems a few years ago but I think are improved now ... not sure.

I think you didn't read all the posts and started taking things out of context and filling in your own thoughts where there was a gap.

I'm guessing you didn't like my COVID post a few days ago and now dont like my "economics" post ... so I'm the reason there are so many problems in this country (in your opinion).

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh? Tell that to the neighbor who loses his job because you're doing him a service buying Chinese stuff. Sounds like you're only thinking about your wallet. I really doubt you'll find ANY Communist Chinese ANYTHING that's better quality than its American original.

We're all buying foreign-made stuff. As I posted above, the Ford Expedition is currently 20th on the American-Made Index. A large number of the parts are entirely or largely from a foreign country (usually China or Mexico). We're all on cellphones that were made in China. Heck, this very website is hosted on Chinese-made computer hardware. We're watching TVs made overseas as well. Appliances? Ditto. Clothing? Same again and this is especially true of all the rednecks that seem to be the most vocal about supporting America. Stop f***ing shopping at Walmart then. Of course if we want them to start paying 3 to 10 times more for US-made though we have to pay them more because we sure as shit know corporate America isn't taking the hit and let's face it, Billy Bob isn't buying a $25 tshirt with the money he makes picking for Amazon. The solution just isn't as simple as some simpletons make it out to be.

My business is fitness equipment. I almost exclusively buy American-made. The vast majority of my clients, however, can't afford to buy American. The US-made functional trainer is $8,000 and the one made in China is $2,000. The US-made Olympic bar is $450 and the Chinese one is $150. The US made Power rack is $1,200 and the Chinese one is less than $500. There is a difference in these products in terms of quality and I am willing to pay for it, but the vast, VAST majority of Americans can't or won't. And many of them are the same ones telling everyone else to buy American. Sick of the ******* hypocrisy.