Wrench Code - Winter Blend Gas to Blame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have had this issue two times recently and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced it or may know what is going on or where to start. I haven't had time to get the codes read but that is on the list for later this week.

I'm in Southeast PA so we have the "Winter Blend" gas.
Expy sat 8+ hours while at work or overnight and the temperature has risen considerably from about freezing (30 degrees) to 50-60 degrees.
When starting, the wrench comes up on the display. Started first time, no issues there and ran normally. Since the code came up, I shut it down and restarted.
Upon restarting and thereafter, no wrench. Ran normally, no issues.
First time may have been with a full tank. Second time was with half a tank.

Any ideas? This only happened twice so far, similar conditions with the ambient temperatures with a large warm up in temperatures. I'm thinking emissions/evap/sensor issues.

07 Expy with about 193000 on it.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I'm in Massachusetts and see similar temperature swings plus probably see the same gas and I've never seen this on my 07. I'm also not sure what the wrench icon means so I would have to look that up but just figured I'd let you know that in similar conditions I'm not seeing the same problems.

Cy Webit

Reaction score
I just had the "wrench" icon appear yesterday on my 2016, seemed to go into "limp" mode. Thought it could have been all the rain we had yesterday and some water vapors got into fuel/intake. Parked in garage overnight, this am started up fine and drove fine until about 4 miles into my drive, popped up again. Looked online, possible TSB 16-0139? Setup appointment with dealer for Wed. Will post results.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Wrench icon is powertrain related. Nothing to do with blend of gas. My first wrench icon stalled my 16 out in the middle of a 4 way intersection in rush hour traffic. Pulled over in limp home mode, turned her off and back on, light went out. Tooknto dealer next day and they pulled a code from somewhere deep into the uncharted land of the computer for a faulty throttle body. Changed out in 30 minutes haven’t seen wrench icon since.

It’s a fail safe. The truck knows what needs to happen while running and one little thing that’s outside of allowable calibration or range will kill the motor so ******* people don’t go have it cleared and keep driving.

OP
OP
GaryH2

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had the "wrench" icon appear yesterday on my 2016, seemed to go into "limp" mode. Thought it could have been all the rain we had yesterday and some water vapors got into fuel/intake. Parked in garage overnight, this am started up fine and drove fine until about 4 miles into my drive, popped up again. Looked online, possible TSB 16-0139? Setup appointment with dealer for Wed. Will post results.
I also have an appointment this week to see what is going on.

It's very strange that both times were cold starts in similar weather conditions and not while driving.

I'll post what the verdict is.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a note about summer/winter blends, which I agree have nothing to do with powertrain wrench light.

The nationwide EPA mandated dates are Sept 15 to switch over to winter blend by both refiners and retailers, so its been around for several months now. For summer blend, refiners are required by May 1 and retailers June 1. Its not a regional thing, the volatility of winter/summer SE Pa gas is the same in Arizona, Florida, North Dakota, etc.

Cy Webit

Reaction score
OK, I removed the JMS and took it into the dealer this am. Of course, it ran fine without the BoostMax installed and so far the dealer has yet to find any real trouble code(s), other than a PPS (pedal position sensor) code? But they didn't seem to sure about it. They are still trying to reproduce, but I don't suspect they will. Right now sure seems to point to the JMS system. I'm bummed, guess I'll have to go with a tune, I can't go back!!
Recommendations on a tune?
Thanks

OP
OP
GaryH2

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to get my codes read, it looks like P0657 turned up so I guess I'll look into the PCM or connectors and harness.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
OK, I removed the JMS and took it into the dealer this am. Of course, it ran fine without the BoostMax installed and so far the dealer has yet to find any real trouble code(s), other than a PPS (pedal position sensor) code? But they didn't seem to sure about it. They are still trying to reproduce, but I don't suspect they will. Right now sure seems to point to the JMS system. I'm bummed, guess I'll have to go with a tune, I can't go back!!
Recommendations on a tune?
Thanks
5 star

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01