WTF, moment. Limited warranty on new car? Help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10sne1

Reaction score
Bought a New 2020 Expy max, 2100 miles on dealer demo..on 12/30/2020..
I was just looking at paper work.
In the many papers is the Warranty description!
There are two boxes for the dealer to mark
Full Warranty
Or Limited Warranty
The box Limited Warranty is marked?? Under that states 50/50 parts and labor 30 days 1000 miles? My stomach hurts!!
This my WTF moment.
Has anyone seen this. Do not all new Ford’s from a dealer come with
36 month 36,000 miles
5 year 60,000 power train
Etc Etc
Before I confront the dealer, I wished to get you all take on this?
Thanks for your constructive thoughts.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a New 2020 Expy max, 2100 miles on dealer demo..on 12/30/2020..
I was just looking at paper work.
In the many papers is the Warranty description!
There are two boxes for the dealer to mark
Full Warranty
Or Limited Warranty
The box Limited Warranty is marked?? Under that states 50/50 parts and labor 30 days 1000 miles? My stomach hurts!!
This my WTF moment.
Has anyone seen this. Do not all new Ford’s from a dealer come with
36 month 36,000 miles
5 year 60,000 power train
Etc Etc
Before I confront the dealer, I wished to get you all take on this?
Thanks for your constructive thoughts.

Could be as simple as a paperwork error, or not.

When I have purchased a new car (never with 2,100 miles on it), the warranty has always included the existing mileage (10-20 miles) plus the manufacturer’s warranty (so your car should come with 36,000 + 2,100).

You did not buy a new car, you bought a used model that the dealer called a demo - but was probably driven by a dealership employee or used as a shuttle vehicle. It is possible it is a Ford buy-back or a vehicle trade-in. Most manufacturer’s and states allow a vehicle to be sold as new if it has never been titled, and is still on the MSO (manufacturer’s statement of origin - which is used to get the first title).

But - it should still come with the remainder of the manufacturer’s warranty.

Since what is a stake is significant, I would contact an attorney and have him do your talking. Think engine or transmission failure in 31 days.....

Good luck.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Probably just an error. Perhaps the dealer is required by your state to provide a limited warranty. Ford would warranty any new vehicle, I believe unless it was wrecked or "substantially modified".

But don't take a thing for granted.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably just an error. Perhaps the dealer is required by your state to provide a limited warranty. Ford would warranty any new vehicle, I believe unless it was wrecked or "substantially modified".

But don't take a thing for granted.

Manufacturer’s can deny a warranty to vehicles with branded titles - such as a salvage vehicle, or one repurchased as a “lemon” under various states’ consumer laws.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call and meet your salesman before you go to a lawyer. Trust me as someone in business we will never want to to business with or help you again if you are straight to a lawyer. I’d have your pic up on the wall as “do not sell to” lol. Lawyer up if they do not redo and notorize paperwork, give them a chance as it’s 80% a mistake they’ll fix most of the time.

OP
OP

10sne1

Reaction score
I will always go to salesperson for explanation first. Checked VIN with Ford on help.ford.com
It shows I have the manufacture warranty, but date started 7/8/2020. Not happy but better than my first impression of what is implied in my paper packet.
I’ll have a meeting of the mines with my salesman, who is a veteran salesman. Not a flunky newbie.
See about getting extended Ford ESP warranty. Priced like Flood Ford would price it. Giving me some free value. Thanks for your thoughts.

IIGood

Reaction score
Eh, don't worry, Rajesh or Srikanth would be calling you soon enough anyway about your vehicle's extended warranty... :jester:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The original MFR warranties apply whether you're the first owner or the fifth. The dealer's warranty is simply on top of that. My main question would be whether the dealer warranty starts on the day you purchased it or after the MFR warranty runs out. If it started the day you purchased and the vehicle is still under MFR warranty for at least 1,000 miles, that dealer warranty is worthless.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford new vehicle warranty starts counting from the in-service date. So if it was in the dealers demo or loaner fleet, the warranty start date and milage would be when they took delivery. The limited warranty you got from the dealer is probably the standard warranty they put on all used vehicles. The manufacturer warranty would obviously supercede the dealer warranty in this case.

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
Love to hear what they say after you talk to them. If new car warranty started on 7/8/20, they should have told you.