XLT stero upgrade to b&o

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mfiggs22

Reaction score
Hi new member here I have a 2021 XLT with the s***** stock stereo system. One of my friends took his b&o system out of his f-350 and is willing to give it to me. Just wondering if anybody has done anything like this? Is it plug and play and just screw the speakers in or is there more to it? Thanks for any info you can provide

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi new member here I have a 2021 XLT with the s***** stock stereo system. One of my friends took his b&o system out of his f-350 and is willing to give it to me. Just wondering if anybody has done anything like this? Is it plug and play and just screw the speakers in or is there more to it? Thanks for any info you can provide
Way more to it. The speakers might not be hard to swap out but the B&O system also has an external amp. The amp and associated harness would not be on a base audio vehicle. Also, the radio and vehicle network itself are configured for that external amp. It's on the CAN bus. All in all it's not worth it. If you want better audio go aftermarket for sure.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have to spend a lot of time to rewire. I upgraded my speakers to Infinity Reference and it was day and night difference with OEM head.

gural

Reaction score
if You think about changing the audio i would go in a diffrent way
EXP have a poor acustic isolation

I already have cushion the doors with butyl mats and give acoustic foam
On the highway it is much more silent and the sound from the speekers are better

In the future i will be doing the same excesise with front floor

One door took me around 1 hour

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking about a Sound Skins kit now that you mention your door treatment. So, the difference is night and day, huh? Hmmm

gural

Reaction score
we have masaured the voluem of external noise when going 60/h
the dirrfeance before and after was about 3 dB

someone will say its only 3 - but for human ear it is almost twice

But the thing is that the sound from factory speaker is much better
the door after isolation is like a tube and not like a cola can

if I would like to go for better speakers it is mandatory to buy amplify + new wiring
and that is a high cost + a tone of work

Grizguy

Reaction score
I spent a ton of cash upgrading the crap ford stock radio. First, the head unit from the f150 will not fit. You can add a processor to the stock head unit but need to add amps and sub. AND speakers. My system. 1000A main amp 250 x 4 for the door speakers, 500A sub amp with sub in the back floor. Crystal clear.. can be VERY loud. I did not need the loud.. just clear. Im not sure if they have came out with a head unit that will fit yet or not. I had a phenix ordered.. waited 2 years.. I gave up waiting.

DJ04

Reaction score
I bought some Crutchfield speakers for the doors of my rig. I am reading about sound deadening in the doors; how does that work? I suppose that could be added when the panels are off to replace the speakers?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score