XLT Taillight Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lukewang01

Reaction score
The last thread I created for the retrofit had a misleading title, I thought it would be a good idea to create another one to provide some useful information.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on the red wire in LED module. I can't figure out what function does it have, but it doesn't seem to cause any problem by not connecting it to anything.

IMG_4227.JPG

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
UPDATE #5 Wiring guide (Works, but incomplete)

To make the plug able to be plugged into the socket, one side of the tabs on top needs to be shaved off. Wires should be cut between sliver plug for harness and the black plug for the module where colored wires are exposed.

Based on previous experiment, each colored wire have the associated functions below. Purple -> Reverse. Blue -> HI state of brake light (both LED band/pack). Yellow -> LO state of brake light (LED band only). Black -> Ground. Red -> ???.

Since the configuration for halogen is different from the LED, some of the wires needed to be rewired. Yellow -> Red (Yellow wire from the black plug to the red wire on the silver plug). Blue -> Yellow. Purple -> Blue. Black remains at the same location across different module.

Proper waterproofing is needed after it's rewired since quite some water can gets in between the body and the light around the wires.

Last edited:

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on the red wire in LED module. I can't figure out what function does it have, but it doesn't seem to cause any problem by not connecting it to anything.

View attachment 36655

I checked the wiring diagram and it shows a "turn outage" as an additional connection to the rear LED housing when compared to the incandescent. It shows the wire color as GN-BU or BU-OG depending on the side of the vehicle.

If I had to guess, the yellow turn signal light shouldn't come on when applying the brakes. Somebody with the stock LED's would need to confirm this.

whizkid

Reaction score
I’d love to do this on my ‘17 3rd gen too. The owners manual refers to both incandescent and LEDs in the manual but I can’t find anything about item LED assemblies anywhere. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
I checked the wiring diagram and it shows a "turn outage" as an additional connection to the rear LED housing when compared to the incandescent. It shows the wire color as GN-BU or BU-OG depending on the side of the vehicle.

If I had to guess, the yellow turn signal light shouldn't come on when applying the brakes. Somebody with the stock LED's would need to confirm this.

Thanks for the input. That's what I'm lacking as well, I never got a chance to take a close look at how it works stock on the LTD/Plat. Would you mind showing me where did you find the wiring diagram for the module? I'm sorry if the video created some confusion. The lighting in the video is quite poor, but there's no yellow light on the LED module, it's all red for both the pack and the band surrounding it. I'll try just connecting the red from module to the red on harness and see if that yields any result. You did remind me of a good point, some countries need to have a separate yellow as turn signals, maybe ford is using the same programming and harness but different tail modules around the world. I need to look into what module do they put on units sold overseas.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
UPDATE #6 Red wire on LED taillight

After hot wiring the red wire to both red and yellow output from the halogen socket, LED taillight didn't light up at all. The function of the red wire is still unknown, as well as the effect it's going to have on the life or stability of the LED module by leaving it out is also unknown. However, based on previous test, I would give the retrofit a green light. I'm planning on doing it if I can locate a pair of taillights cheaper than the dealership.

x96535

Reaction score
Luke, can you confirm if the clear plastic exterior lens of the LED and halogen taillights are the same? Don’t mean to detract from your thread, but the wife busted the lens backing into a pole. Hoping I can just by a halogen taillight and bake the lens apart and swap. Thanks!