Yes to eLSD or No to eLSD on our next Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smile

Reaction score
Currently considering used 2020 or possible 2021. It will be our 4th Expedition since 1995 and probably keep 8+/- years. Presently driving 2010 King Ranch 4x4.

Looking forward, our driving may be less adventurous than in the past and will predictably include (but who really knows anymore!)...
Wet roads regularly, mostly paved.
Dirt/gravel roads, muddy roads quarterly.
Tow some, but not frequently.
Snow/ice couple times per year.

Should we say Yes to eLSD or No to eLSD on our next Expedition? What do you think?

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 21 Stealth w/ HD tow. It does NOT have ELSD. In 21 they broke out the option as stand alone (no longer inc in HD tow). Anyway, at first I was bummed out because I thought I would of liked to have the option. BUT, I have been reading that many folks have issues with ELSD. I still would of liked to have it though.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you currently have a locking rear diff in your king ranch ? If not you won’t miss it. But in a bind 3 wheel drive is always better. Traction control is getting pretty advanced these days and the new rear diff takes advantage of it and lets you “lock” it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They're prone to failures. Mine puked at around 25,000 miles. They had to replace the entire rear end carrier assembly because the ELSD failed to disengage properly. I wouldn't be without the 3.73 gears and locker, but it sucks that it fails.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They're prone to failures. Mine puked at around 25,000 miles. They had to replace the entire rear end carrier assembly because the ELSD failed to disengage properly. I wouldn't be without the 3.73 gears and locker, but it sucks that it fails.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Number one weakness in the full sized rigs is lack of a rear locker. A big factor why I wanted one in my next full size.

My Sequoia getting stuck in some embarrassing spots ie no rear locker was for sure a huge factor.

Hell even 2wd with locker would have gotten through two spots my Sequoia totally didn’t lol

As for failures? That locker is in 1000’s of rigs. Yeah a few had faulty parts that got fixed on warranty. Mind has been fine.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Where are the stats to prove that? The Eaton eSLD has been in production since 2005 when Jeep started using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 21 Stealth w/ HD tow. It does NOT have ELSD. In 21 they broke out the option as stand alone (no longer inc in HD tow). Anyway, at first I was bummed out because I thought I would of liked to have the option. BUT, I have been reading that many folks have issues with ELSD. I still would of liked to have it though.
Are you saying yours has the 3.73 gears but NOT the eLSD? What's the GAWR?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should we say Yes to eLSD or No to eLSD on our next Expedition? What do you think?
Yes. Far better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. You did say "mud", "snow" and "ice" which are exactly where you'll want it.