You still want to go to those express lube places?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keiferEXP

Reaction score
Just picked up a 04 Expedition cheap from a private owner. Took it home and did a oil change. And saw Valvoline sticker on corner of windshield. Then to my surprise cannot fit my regular wrench on filter and finally used a lawnmower wrench and took it out. It's a small VO-88 oil filter and looked up it's not cross reference with any Motorcraft. But it's for Volvo and others. I put in a Motorcraft 820S and hope it won't leak. How can Valvoline Express can do this to customers vehicles? Tried to attached image of both filters, like day and night. Motorcraft way bigger.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All those oil change places Jiffy, Express lube, ect. do the same thing.
Tell you all about the great oil (which they have a deal with and get cheap) but forget to mention that they are using their smaller crappy filter.
There are a lot of people out there that trust them and have no clue. Most people I tell don't believe me until they go look. even then they are still defending them. Oh no not the guys at the one I go to.

Peter Brown

Reaction score
I'll do my own from now on. Not only did they refuse my request to put 10w30 in my 04 expy. Saying I would ruin motor.
They were trying to upsell me like I just walked off of the short bus. It's not bad to change out. Get some ramps and you're good.

Last edited:

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Valvoline IOC overfilled my Suburban by 2 quarts! I had oil come out through the exhaust and spray on my camper. The truck lost power after that so there was engine damage. I ended up getting rid of it months later. Their offer for ruining my truck? Three instant oil change coupons!

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should do it myself but trust a local shop called NTB. They seem to do the job correct.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should do it myself but trust a local shop called NTB. They seem to do the job correct.

Still can't read what you wrote. Avatar too distracting... :biggrin:

The BEST way to deal with your "Lube & Loot" is to buy your oil and filter, make them delete the cost for parts on their end, and watch them like you would your daughter's date on prom night...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a lot of bad experiences at quick lube places, but continued to use them for many years simply because the oil changes cost me less than the supplies needed to do it myself. When oil change prices started creeping up I started doing my own, but still had my wife take her car since it was a lot more work to do it on her car (put it on ramps, remove the shield, etc.). Then she had a local Meineke drain half her brake fluid in order to make her brakes feel spongy so they could rope her into a brake job. (She called me, I told her to decline and drive home carefully. I discovered the drained fluid quickly as I had just topped it off a week prior and there were no leaks.) Ever since then, I do them on both vehicles.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still can't read what you wrote. Avatar too distracting... :biggrin:

The BEST way to deal with your "Lube & Loot" is to buy your oil and filter, make them delete the cost for parts on their end, and watch them like you would your daughter's date on prom night...

Lol :happy107:,

I pay about $65 for parts/labor. That's for synthetic blend. Not too bad. Small bonus is the Keurig coffee in the 'observation' room (looking at the shop floor). I do watch them like a hawk though...can pretty much see everything they are doing.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I pay about $65 for parts/labor. That's for synthetic blend. Not too bad. Small bonus is the Keurig coffee in the 'observation' room (looking at the shop floor). I do watch them like a hawk though...can pretty much see everything they are doing.

Years ago (about 20) Jiffy had a special for $9.99 oil change. Would take the three cars - one at a time - about every 3 weeks due to the miles driven...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I just paid $30 for 12 qts of full syn Valvoline from Amazon and pay $3.50-4 for my MC filters. That's about $40 I would pay for 1/2 hour of grunt labor (or about $45 for the wife's Honda as it uses far less oil). Being as cheap as I am, that seems pricey. :D My bigger concern though is always the other shady s**t many of these places do (e.g. draining fluids, putting on the wrong filter, refilling with used oil, breaking things intentionally or accidentally, etc.).