ZF6 swap 98 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SourMashII

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice "ski" boat... It might be a bit underpowered to pull a skier at a reasonable velocity...lol. Great job on the finish!! :)

He said with the 396 it had, according to the GPS it did 81 mph. 3 blade prop. apparently more blades faster launch, slower top end... with the dyno'd 454 Alum heads, keith black this that and the other thing, with a 3 blade prop, 1/3 throttle and the boat goes strait up. He is projecting 100 ~ with a 2 blade, and more reasonable launch characteristics.

Thats looks like a pretty big project swapping the tranny. It will be interesting following your install. Good luck!

I swapped an auto into my mustang but thats much easier as no pedals needed to be added and its be done many times before.

She was pretty angry when we went shopping for Monstro, that finding a manual trans Expy wasn't possible. We purchased at 124,4. I said bleh bleh bleh 130-140, sure enough.... Every time I said, what about just fixing the auto, I got met with an expletive that rhymes "Truck Blue", and ... well the rest is history.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont know what looks better the boat or the new tranny.....lol... damn I'm jealous

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this is so sweet. HURRY up so i can copy you! haha i want to do this and a lightning swap. then maybe i can chirp some gears. haha

OP
OP
SourMashII

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First of the month we should have the missing bits, found a shifter for the t-case today in a local boneyard for $35, shifter and linkage... Expy nosed F150, no idea the year, probably early... Need that, ... oh yeah, slave... and t-case. Looking at S-Duty t-cases (I think it was tha Alaskan kids thread about Excursion Reincarnation), I may have some driveshaft work to address. Expy was slip yoke, and the t-case I saw, was flanged on both ends.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sweet build!!! I am very interested in doing this swap next summer since my tranny is about done her time, just hit 170 and I have the weaker 4r70w. Sorry I didn't see this before... I posted a link to your thread from fsb in the tranny section... Would you mind telling me or sending me a PM about how much everything is setting me back?

OP
OP
SourMashII

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so I got the NV271 in. I said this earlier, and I will say it again.

Drop the Torsion bar mounting area, out of the way. Just f@#$ing do it.

That sucked.

Our t-case is a BW44-06, Slip yoke on arse, flanged front. NV271/273 (3 is e-shift, 1 is mannie shift) is flanged front and rear.

Front shaft, only change that needed to be made was BW flange needs to be replaced with NV flange. Rear, obviously a flange needs added, and then a slip yoke created.

rear cat delete mod.

Trigger a CEL?

What are real world mpg gains?

Pass smog still?

Exhuast is removed from Monstro, now would be the time if I were to do it.

HAve both the SD shifters, but at the crusher yard today, for $10 I got both shifters from a 98 F150, INCLUDING the rubber deally that insulatesthe cabin from undercarriage.

OP
OP
SourMashII

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, notched the floor for the shifter, tomorrow t- case,a dn then we finish hydraulics, button up inside, hook up filter lines.

In a key YDMF moment after I notched for the fuel lines, I noticed just how close I cam to the high psi fuel lines with the skinny wheel..
No harm, no foul, but.. be attentive to the cut on the driver side fo the tunnel. HAmmered back down all the metal I had pushed up in the tunnel with the jack arranging the trans.. SEX!

Only concern now is I will have to give the shifter a "retro" dog leg shape to clear the dash.

PArt of crusher yard score, was also the radio bezel that doesn't have the "dial a drive selection" t-case knob :D

If what I mean is escaping up, all the ZF's from the late 80's up had a straight stalk, all the Ford 4 speeds, t-19 and the like have a curvy shifter to avoind dash interference.