1997 expedition transfer case issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick8102

Reaction score
Hi,
So I swapped out my borg warner 4406 transfer case on my 1997 eb expedition and after doing so now my transfer case motor will not shift, I tried re connecting it to my old transfer case and it works as it should but once it's hooked up with the new transfer case it will not shift, I hear a clicking from behind my dash but that's it.

Oh also I am checking it with it unbolted so I can watch it move,

Any help would be much appreciated

OP
OP
N

nick8102

Reaction score
Update

When I turn the key on te 4x4 light does not come on and when I turn the dial on the dash to anything but 2 wheel my auto 4 wheel light comes on

I have 12.6 volts at the fuse an I don't have an open at my 4 wheel selector on the dash

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the 4wd light does not come on even for a short while after turning the ignition key to on, then the light is busted.
Your problem with the shift motor may be a mounting issue. Carefully compare the mounting surfaces of both old and newly installed cases. They should be exactly the same. No elevated portions. Your shift motor gear might not be engaging with the gear inside the case.