35” Tires Installed on Lifted FX4, Trimming Solution Illustrated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RANDAL CHAO

Reaction score
Just got the wheels and tires installed. Here is my data point to share:

2020 Expy Limited FX4
Ready Lift 3/2, Raceline Mamda HD 20x9 +25mm

Tried several tire sizes:
Nitto Terra Grappler G2: 35x12.5x20 rubs (34.5"x12.5"), need to move front fender line about 1", doable, but too much hassle
Nitto Terra Grappler G2: 295/65/20 rubs (35.1"x11.8") , need to move front fender line about 1", doable but too much hassle
Nitto Ridge Grappler: 285/60/20 (33.7x11.5), very very minor rub when full lock.

Here are the photos:

Cheers -R

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good. I should have mine within 2 weeks.

Can you show a shot down the side? My wheels will poke out about 1/2 further than yours with similar circumference tires (285/70 R18).

Now I am really excited to get mine installed. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RANDAL CHAO

RANDAL CHAO

Reaction score
Not much lip out side the body. I do like Fozzy's thick-lip wider-stance on 35/12.5/20, but that would need some trimming of the front fender felt liner (I don;'t think it is too hard, just don't want to cut too much on brand new truck). The fender liner anchor is mostly plastic, can be finicky if you dont mold it it right.

Now that OEM wheels are with offset +44mm, and mine are +25mm, so tire stance should be wider than before.

Your is another 1/2" poking out,, that means your wheel offset is +12mm?

IMG_0786.jpg

Last edited:

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not much lip out side the body. I do like Fozzy's thick-lip wider-stance on 35/12.5/20, but that would need some trimming of the front fender felt liner (I don;'t think it is too hard, just don't want to cut too much on brand new truck). The fender liner anchor is mostly plastic, can be finicky if you dont mold it it right.

Now that OEM wheels are with offset +44mm, and mine are +25mm, so tire stance should be wider than before.

Your is another 1/2" poking out,, that means your wheel offset is +12mm?

View attachment 39197

Yes, I ordered wheels with a +12 offset.

They have been back ordered, but my dealer said they should be in MD around 12/18 or 12/21.

I think Fozzy also has +12 offset, but with a wider wheel as you mentioned. I think that would put his a full inch wider stance than your and about a 1/2 inch wider than mine will be.

Where are you seeing the very very slight rub at full lock?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RANDAL CHAO

RANDAL CHAO

Reaction score
OK Here are the photos.
1. You see the rub lines. It happens when you are almost full lock. For my fittings, the rub is minimal, so I can live with it.
2. For the two sizes I tried earlier, I believe the solution is to trim the bottom felt line about 1" and re-anchor it. See my illustrated cut lines.

You should do it now before visiting tire shop. As it is too late for me. And when trying tires on the spot, you can't deliberate solutions quickly/clearly.

Disclaimer: try this at your own risk.

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking good, yes I have the crappy +12 and still don’t think a 1” narrow tire will help. Cut my carpet and plastic similar to the drawing.
c5686d3a6cee9eae5f87a1535335a04d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I moved, the single worst thing I could have done was leave my two pairs of Rhino ramps, tools, and garage behind lol.
I really want to spend some time underneath the nose of this thing...

OP
OP
RANDAL CHAO

RANDAL CHAO

Reaction score
Ok minimal trimming, no cutting at all, increased clearance by about 7/8 - 1 inch. I kick myself not doing this before made the decision to take the tire. I was too scared. Should have gotten 35/12.5/20. Can I go back to tire shop and ask them to switch? Only drove maybe 20 miles.

Here are the photos before and after. It is pretty self explanatory. 10min job. No cutting, just realign the felt liner fasteners. I think this post earned my stripes.

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

Last edited: