Automatic Headlights Always On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member with a not-so-new 2003 Expy EB. My issue is that that when I switch my lights to automatic, they simply turn on (as though it's nighttime/dark outside) - even in broad daylight. It seems as though the light sensor is blocked/covered, however I'm not sure where that sensor is located. I've heard it's either in the "oval" part of the dash, or there's a small hole (pencil-sized) in the dash that lets light in to the sensor...

Anyways, if someone could shed some light (pun somewhat intended) as to where this sensor is supposed to receive light, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look for a small rectangular mesh like screen at the center of the dash. Clean it if needed.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The photo cell is located in the center of the dash close to the glass

Principles of Operation

The autolamp system provides light-sensitive automatic on/off control of the headlamps and parking lamps controlled by the vehicle security module when the headlamp switch is in the autolamps position. When the ignition switch is turned to the RUN or START position with the autolamps feature already enabled and the ambient light level is dark, the vehicle security module will request the headlamps and parking lamps be turned on. When the autolamps are disabled, the vehicle security module will request the headlamps and parking lamps to be turned off, regardless of the ignition switch position. When the vehicle security module has turned on the exterior lamps and the ignition is turned to the OFF or ACCY position, the exterior lamps will remain on for an additional time specified by the customer or the headlamp switch is turned off.

When the autolamps have been enabled and the ignition switch is in the RUN/START position, the vehicle security module will request that the exterior lamps be turned on or off based on ambient light level. If the vehicle enters darkness for at least 15 seconds, the vehicle security module will request the exterior lamps on. If the vehicle enters light for at least 15 seconds, the vehicle security module will request the exterior lamps off. By delaying turning on and off the exterior lamps during short periods of darkness and light, the vehicle security module prevents the exterior lamps from flashing on and off.

Inspection and Verification

1. Verify the customer concern.
  1. Visually inspect the following for obvious signs of mechanical or electrical damage.

Visual Inspection Chart
    Mechanical Electrical
    • Headlamp switch
    • Central junction box (CJB) fuse(s):
      • 5 (7.5A)
      • 30 (30A)
    • Circuitry
    • Headlamp bulb
    • Vehicle security module
    • Photocell
  1. If an obvious cause for an observed or reported concern is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.
  1. If the concern is not visually evident, determine the symptom and refer to the Symptom Chart.

Symptom Chart

Symptom Chart
Condition Possible Sources Action
  • No communication with the vehicle security module
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuse(s):
    • 5 (7.5A).
    • 30 (30A).
  • Circuitry.
  • Vehicle security module.
  • The autolamps are inoperative — do not operate correctly
  • Circuitry.
  • Photocell.
  • Headlamp switch.
  • The autolamps are on continuously
  • Photocell covered by opaque material/obstructed.
  • REMOVE opaque material/obstruction.
  • Photocell incorrectly installed.
  • INSTALL the photocell correctly.
  • Circuitry.
  • Photocell.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
This is the sensor everyone is talking about, I guess either clean it or don't block it from seeing the sun. Otherwise it seems kinda hard to get to it so if it was me I'd just leave it to manual operation.

image.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the sensor there on the dash have a red LED blinking with the ignition OFF ? I'm just wondering if a previous owner unplugged it. There should be a red blinking LED there anytime the ignition is OFF. Other than that it could be the headlight switch itself. They're easy to replace. If you suspect a bad sensor you may have to go rummage through the salvage yards to find one.

-Mike

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...lectrical-switch+&+relay,headlamp+switch,4472

You want a Motorcraft SW6235 switch ....

4L1Z11654CAA-BAC.jpg

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Mine blinks only if car is off and LOCKED! If I leave it unlocked it doesn't blink

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sensor functions with 3 different systems
Pats, eatc and autolamps
The reason that it doesn't flash when the doors are left unlocked is because the PATS system hasn't been armed

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine flashes with the doors closed and unlocked. Only time it's not flashing is when the motor's running.

-Mike