Bilstein 5100 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

philcom4

Reaction score
So I have a 2016 platinum EL that apparently has the load leveling shocks. I bought some bilstein 5100s thinking I could just reuse the old spring perch and coil springs but once I got the old one off I realized that’s not gonna work. So my question is what do I need to install the 5100s? Is it even possible or do I have to go back with the load leveling shocks?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You swap over spring seats, spring isolators, and coils from the stock shocks when installing 5100s so you're gonna need a set of stock shocks to disassemble.

Junkyard will get you there. If you already have coils or plan on replacing them anyway, buy the cheapest Motorcraft shocks listed for your vehicle on rock auto and cut them up to get what you need.

And obviously you're gonna need the right tools for the job, including a spring compressor. If you're not comfortable with that, stay safe and pay a professional.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ran into the same issue when I did my 2014. I went the junkyard and got the shocks off a non-load leveling Expedition so I could swap those seats/springs.

I set all Bilsteins at the max height. I think if I were to do it again (I’ve got like 75k miles on them) I’d set the rear one setting down from the highest. I’ve got a slight rake to mine.

Bilstein does make a 5100 for the load leveling shocks, but the part number is harder to come by.