Toyo HT in snow, how is the performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Walter

Reaction score
My wife needs to drive from N. Texas to Minneapolis next week. Our choice is her 2 wheel drive Expedition with Toyo HT Open Country tires, or my F-150 FX4 with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I've searched for how the Toyo's are in snow, and getting mixed reviews (from Google). She has experience in snow, but mostly limited to a rental car in town for several days. This time she has to drive quite a ways, so just a little worried the Toyo's won't do as well as my truck, especially if she throws it into 4A on the highways or any hilly areas.

Anyone have any opinions on how the Toyo's perform in snow? The long range weather looks like she could have some snow in Ohio and Minn. once she gets there (Dec 1st and leaving Minn. the 4th). The tires are like brand new, think she just hit 5K miles on it, so tread is in great shape.

Thanks in advance!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its so early, Minneapolis and south won't have enough cold temps to present any major issues. I'm in Northern, WI and Minneapolis is wayyy south of us and should not get anything major enough to get concerned about. Sure you might have one day that has some light snow or something, but as long as she has an extra day to use to her advantage as far as travel days, I would say she could make it in a Prius!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By googling pics of those tires, I would think she would be very tired of the howl from the F150 tires after driving it that long....

OP
OP
R

Rob Walter

Reaction score
By googling pics of those tires, I would think she would be very tired of the howl from the F150 tires after driving it that long....

They are a little "hummy", but she actually just came back from a trip to Colorado, where she got my custom rock sliders installed, for an early Xmas gift. :)
Said it wasn't too bad.
She will actually drive to KC Missouri, stay the night (meetings), then on to Minneapolis, so kind of breaking it into 2 smaller trips.

I am thinking along those same lines, Deadman. Unless there was some freak winter storm blowing in, I feel the Toyo's she has should be sufficient. Just wanted to check if anyone had any first hand experience with them

And the ole F-150- does see a lot of off road use, we got to Northwest OHV park in Bridgeport, go ovre rocks, in some mud, and generally have a great time!

20191119_170037.jpg 20191119_170026.jpg

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are a little "hummy", but she actually just came back from a trip to Colorado, where she got my custom rock sliders installed, for an early Xmas gift. :)
Said it wasn't too bad.
She will actually drive to KC Missouri, stay the night (meetings), then on to Minneapolis, so kind of breaking it into 2 smaller trips.

View attachment 33307 View attachment 33308

Thats not a good snow tire anyway, so I wouldn't specifically send her with that f150 simply based on tires. Those big wide flat lugged tires are not good in snow. Snow needs lots of small sips, cuts, lugs, soft rubber, etc.

They look nice on your truck, but they won't be very impressive in slush and stuff that would typically be on the roads with the salt. I'd consider which vehicle you would rather have covered in road salt than worry about the tires themselves. If you are from down south, your stuff probably never or rarely sees salt, so try to keep it that way if you can! :).

OP
OP
R

Rob Walter

Reaction score
Thats not a good snow tire anyway, so I wouldn't specifically send her with that f150 simply based on tires. Those big wide flat lugged tires are not good in snow. Snow needs lots of small sips, cuts, lugs, soft rubber, etc.

They look nice on your truck, but they won't be very impressive in slush and stuff that would typically be on the roads with the salt. I'd consider which vehicle you would rather have covered in road salt than worry about the tires themselves. If you are from down south, your stuff probably never or rarely sees salt, so try to keep it that way if you can! :).

You are correct, these are not meant for snow, more rocks and mud. I would use the truck more for the 4 wheel drive capability if the HT's suck in snow. Looks like she'll be driving the Expy!
Thanks!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im not trying to decide for you, but rather throw my opinions out there and you decide from there. There will be others with different opinions, so its up to you!

Either way tell her to take her time and be safe! :)