Transmission temperature ranges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtaylor15

Reaction score
Hello all, I am the new to the forum because I now own a 2015 Expedition. I plan to do a little towing this summer. My Expedition was ordered with all the tow packages and is rated to tow 9200 pounds. Just driving it around town the transmission temp reads in the neighborhood of 200 degrees. My question is this. When I pull 5000 pounds of trailer over a mountain pass when do I know that the transmission is approaching the temp limit for possible damage. Surprisingly enough my dealer did not have an answer. Ford does not let customers talk to engineering so I am reaching out to the ford users for an answer. Also my engine temp gage is digital and just says NORMAL......How do you know if you are getting hot???

thanks,
rtaylor

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you search the internet you will find the temp range is all over the place. If you check this link it may help - keep in mind it is not the same trans you have:

Allison Transmission Operating Temperature | DMAX Store

Another thing to keep in mind, automatic transmissions are hydraulic units like what is used in heavy equipment to operate. The normal operating temp of in them is usually around 180 degrees. Once you get past 200 you start breaking down conventional hydraulic fluid. Synthetic can operate at higher temps.

If it was me I would try to lower the operating temp into the 180 - 190 range with an additional trans cooler.

OP
OP
R

rtaylor15

Reaction score
Not getting it.......

If you search the internet you will find the temp range is all over the place. If you check this link it may help - keep in mind it is not the same trans you have:

Allison Transmission Operating Temperature | DMAX Store

Another thing to keep in mind, automatic transmissions are hydraulic units like what is used in heavy equipment to operate. The normal operating temp of in them is usually around 180 degrees. Once you get past 200 you start breaking down conventional hydraulic fluid. Synthetic can operate at higher temps.

If it was me I would try to lower the operating temp into the 180 - 190 range with an additional trans cooler.

Apparently I am not getting it. The vehicle runs at aprox. 200 degrees right out of the box with out towing anything. Does that mean that it is already doing damage? If I tow I am sure it will go significantly higher. What is the Transmission cooler package for?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on what fluid ford is using. I would expect the ohm fluid to handle your current temps.
The trans cooler is similar to adding a larger radiator to your cooling system. It allows you the ability to remove more heat which lowers the trans temp.