UPDATE: 03 Ford Expedition 5.4L won't accelerate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may also want to try cleaning your throttle body, that can cause surging and rough running idle conditions.

I am a retired Ford Powertrain engineer. That procedure is a waste of time and money. It the throttle plates moves and the Idle Speed Actuator is working properly (which it sounds like it is not), then that service is COMPLETE UNNECESSARY !

What appears to be harden "gunk" inside the throttle was actually placed there on purpose when the throttle body was assembled.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 Expedition makes no such noise.
Yes, it does you just can not always hear it in side the vehicle.

Have someone else sit in the driver seat. Remove the gas cap and bend down close to it. Have the second person turn the key to ON (not START).

Every single fuel inject gasoline vehicle I have EVER seen turns the fuel pump on as soon as the key is turned to ON. The fuel pump stays running for 2-10 seconds even if te engine is not running.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check this:
On the back side of the elbow that goes down from the throttle body there’s a rubber fitting with a hose that over time gets soft and either leaks or collapses.

Had all the same symptoms and finally figured out it was that.
$12 part

I’d would check there before spending any more money.

c5ecf33015976327b4886db404788342.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This get my vote ! A large vacuum leak will cause poor running and the IAC can not compensate for it cause the IAC code.

That picture has me confused. I can't tell what I am looking at or what the part is you are describing.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sorry I still have not figured that hose out ! You said it goes from the throttle body, but where to ? The power brake booster ?

waldo

Reaction score
Passenger side valve cover

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excellent photo and tremendously useful information. Would you please share the part number? Thanks in advance.

waldo

Reaction score
2L3Z-6A664-B

That part should fit both 4.6 and 5.4 second gen expeditions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turro15