WINDSHIELD WASHER MOTOR RELAY LOCATION REQUESTED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to locate and test the relay (not the fuse) that turns on the washer motor for spraying the windshield. Thanks in advance !

Plati

Reaction score
Isn't that info in the Owners Manual? Is washer fluid spraying ever needed in Florida? Bug season?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The relay is integral to the wiper motor. Did you check voltage at the pump itself ?

OP
OP
S

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
everything has been electrically tested. I am not looking for the relay for the wiper motor, thanks.
I need to personally lay eyes on the relay which sends power in the polarity the spins the motor in the direction for sending fluid to the windshield. No, the owner's manual does not show a location for the relay.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, well you're going to have to open up the wiper motor to personally lay eyes on the relay for the WASHER PUMP. It's on the circuit board of the wiper motor(s).

OP
OP
S

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, emphasis noted and appreciated ! Many Expedition washer pumps are needlessly replaced due to a weak/worn front actuator relay. They either work in both directions or they don't. A weak/worn washer relay often requires engine running charging voltage to actuate per my extensive testing.

In almost every instance, the washer motor rear operating strategy works flawlessly for the simple reason
its relay is seldom actuated.

Michael McC

Reaction score
Thanks, emphasis noted and appreciated ! Many Expedition washer pumps are needlessly replaced due to a weak/worn front actuator relay. They either work in both directions or they don't. A weak/worn washer relay often requires engine running charging voltage to actuate per my extensive testing.

In almost every instance, the washer motor rear operating strategy works flawlessly for the simple reason
its relay is seldom actuated.
Septic Professor, maybe you can help me. The button on the end of the blinker (turn indicator) arm that should activate the washer pump for the front windshield does not activate the washer pump. The rear wiper washer works fine. There is only one pump, correct?

I have replaced the turn indicator ($40 from Rock Auto) and still no activation of the pump. Why would one button activate the pump and another not? And what is this "front actuator relay" you refer to, and where is it? Can't find it on the diagram here: https://www.autogenius.info/ford-expedition-2015-2017-fuse-box-diagram/

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Michael it's integrated into the front wiper motor's circuit board. No real way to repair it without replacing the wiper motor. Are you saying you don't get 12v at the washer motor when you hit the front wash button? But you get it at the washer motor when you hit the rear wash and the wash fluid flows out the rear like it should?