Non-Ford ESP, 3rd party Vehicle Service Contract coverage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khammer

Reaction score
I have a third party vehicle service contract, Non-Ford ESP. The powertrain and turbos are covered plus other additional component groups. The plan covers my vehicle for roughly another 20k miles (130K) which should get me over a year down the road. How likely is the non-ford ESP to cover TSB’s and other customer satisfaction programs like cam phasers or hard/rough transmission shifts?

As the cam phaser RO is not a recall but a customer satisfaction program, I wonder how likely they will be to cover the repair. FORD has claimed the undesirable noise does not affect safety, performance, or emissions. I could see them denying the RO based on FORD's statement if it is just making noise. I have a similar concern for the turbo rattle and hard/rough transmission shifting.

Has anyone had experience with a NON-FORD ESP getting coverage on these issues? It would be nice to have a tune-up on all these items before the end of coverage as I intend to hang on to this vehicle past the term.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a third party vehicle service contract, Non-Ford ESP. The powertrain and turbos are covered plus other additional component groups. The plan covers my vehicle for roughly another 20k miles (130K) which should get me over a year down the road. How likely is the non-ford ESP to cover TSB’s and other customer satisfaction programs like cam phasers or hard/rough transmission shifts?

As the cam phaser RO is not a recall but a customer satisfaction program, I wonder how likely they will be to cover the repair. FORD has claimed the undesirable noise does not affect safety, performance, or emissions. I could see them denying the RO based on FORD's statement if it is just making noise. I have a similar concern for the turbo rattle and hard/rough transmission shifting.

Has anyone had experience with a NON-FORD ESP getting coverage on these issues? It would be nice to have a tune-up on all these items before the end of coverage as I intend to hang on to this vehicle past the term.
Regarding the Turbo wastegate rattle: Ford states This is a "Normal" (which is a reason why I will never buy a Ford again) turbo noise and Ford will NOT fix this rattle issue even with Ford ESP.
My turbos rattle like crazy all the time, even when warmed up and normal driving.

Regarding the Cam Phaser rattle at startup: I would be surprised if the 3rd party service contract replaces them ..BUT they just might since they should know if it continues it could lead to more expensive timing/ etc repairs for them to cover down the road..

see this video of possible issues if not corrected now

Last edited:

Danm355

Reaction score

I bought a third party warranty from Car Shield for my last 2018 Expedition and when I took it in for work I told the dealer I had Car Shield and they said they don't accept that anymore because they had a hard time getting paid.

omandave

Reaction score
My 3rd party ESP covered and paid for my Transmission replacement when my Transmission Friction F failed (Transmission code) $200 deductible for me and I was back on my way in about a week...

OP
OP
K

khammer

Reaction score
Regarding the Turbo wastegate rattle: Ford states This is a "Normal" (which is a reason why I will never buy a Ford again) turbo noise and Ford will NOT fix this rattle issue even with Ford ESP.
My turbos rattle like crazy all the time, even when warmed up and normal driving.

Regarding the Cam Phaser rattle at startup: I would be surprised if the 3rd party service contract replaces them ..BUT they just might since they should know if it continues it could lead to more expensive timing/ etc repairs for them to cover down the road..

see this video of possible issues if not corrected now
It is funny he posted that video and I saw it not long after I posted here. I had always taken the stance that I was not going to pay out of pocket for this RO. If my engine ever got too bad, I had the service contract to cover the bill, however I am revisiting this as I and approaching the end of the contract in the next year or so.

There are enough of these 2nd GEN EBs out there getting up in mileage, if this is a prevalent issue/concern we should be seeing this show up more and more. Now, I do NOT have the hot idle or hot restart concern yet, but after seeing this video, he is starting to convince me this might not be something to ignore long term. Rather I am thinking about addressing this inside of the ESP if I know they will cover it.

I bought a third party warranty from Car Shield for my last 2018 Expedition and when I took it in for work I told the dealer I had Car Shield and they said they don't accept that anymore because they had a hard time getting paid.
I have had a good experience with mine (aul) so far. I have had a service covered at both a FORD dealership as well as an Independent ASE shop.