P0435

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GngrBeardMan

Reaction score
Just started having my first issue with my Expedition. Pulled up to a drive through window this morning and a I let of the gas she started running really rough. I put it in park and she settled and was running fine. Then when I started to pull away she started running rough again and then died. I restarted her and she seemed to be doing fine as long as I have her some gas but stayed to struggle when the rpms dropped back down to idle. Drive her over to a friend's house close by and she stopped acting up and was fine even in his driveway at idle. I have a Fixd scanner installed so I checked for codes even though the check engine light was off. Have a stored 0430 code, which I'm pretty sure it's the cat on the drivers side as everything else has been checked out replaced, and a pending 0345 . Drove it back to my house and had no other issues. Going to double-check the driver side cam sensor here in a little bit. Here's hoping that it's nothing more than a cam sensor starting to go bad LOL.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just started having my first issue with my Expedition. Pulled up to a drive through window this morning and a I let of the gas she started running really rough. I put it in park and she settled and was running fine. Then when I started to pull away she started running rough again and then died. I restarted her and she seemed to be doing fine as long as I have her some gas but stayed to struggle when the rpms dropped back down to idle. Drive her over to a friend's house close by and she stopped acting up and was fine even in his driveway at idle. I have a Fixd scanner installed so I checked for codes even though the check engine light was off. Have a stored 0430 code, which I'm pretty sure it's the cat on the drivers side as everything else has been checked out replaced, and a pending 0345 . Drove it back to my house and had no other issues. Going to double-check the driver side cam sensor here in a little bit. Here's hoping that it's nothing more than a cam sensor starting to go bad LOL.

You mention in the post that you have a stored 0430 code and a pending 0345 code - but you topic headline says P0435.

Do you also have code P0435?

OP
OP
GngrBeardMan

GngrBeardMan

Reaction score
Worked fine for a day, then took a 20 mile drive and she died then the check engine light came on for both cam position sensors. At least they are both easy to get to lol. Hopefully they both just decided to fail around the same time. I believe they are the originals

OP
OP
GngrBeardMan

GngrBeardMan

Reaction score
No good. Put new sensors in and drove fine last night. Had to take her to the doctors and got about a mile and a half away from the doctor's office and she would die every time I slowed down. Barely made it to the doctor's office. Doesn't seem to want to stay running

OP
OP
GngrBeardMan

GngrBeardMan

Reaction score
It's odd. It only acts up when I'm not giving her gas. Had to drive home and decided taking the freeway was a better idea than back street and had no issues the whole way home until I came to a stop to turn into my apartment complex. When the RPMs dipped below 750 she stuttered a few times then was fine pulling me into my parking spot

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah seems like when both sensors appear to have failed at the same time on the 5.4L 3V it's most often time to do a timing job.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in here, but I wonder if FORScan can display timing in real time while your driving? I know it will display quite a few things in real time while driving and save them for review, but I have never tried to look at timing.

There's lots of threads here about replacing the timing chains and components on the 5.4L 3V, just search "timing" in the 2003-2006 forum.

Here's a video that's likely very a good resource as well. https://youtu.be/qpPs9KuJmqM

With those you should be able to get a better idea of the cause of your issues.

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
Get the FORScan Lite app for your phone and a compatible OBD Bluetooth adapter. You can see cam advance (retard), advance error, solenoid duty cycle and a lot more to take the guess work out. It’s nice to have a second set of gauges in a way to see how the engine and drivetrain are doing.

OP
OP
GngrBeardMan

GngrBeardMan

Reaction score
I have a Fixd scanner and use their app. I'm pretty sure it has those readings as options in the live data feed screen but if it doesn't I might try that app. I was hoping it is just a VCT solenoid because I can't afford to have a shop do the timing and I don't have anywhere I can do it myself unfortunately. I've seen a few other posts with the same or similar symptoms that ended up being the solenoid causing the problem and I talked to a friend that had an 05 with the same issue. He said he swapped the solenoid and hasn't had a problem yet.
How many miles do most people see before they need to do a timing job? Just crossed 149K this morning.