Door Ajar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sngltrck1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about the fuse - need more info on year and model.

However ... I know that the wd-40 has to be worked in really well.
After spraying open and close the door with some force several times.

Also - that is temporary - find the offending door and remove/clean sensor.

fred50stang

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my expe. I have narrowed it down to the tailgate/rear window latch. I have tried spraying brake cleaner then followed it up with some pb blaster and once again with wd-40 and that fixes it temporarily.

One thing mine does you didn't mention is when the door ajar light comes on, usually the dome lights kick on also or the truck will not sense the doors are shut after we get out, so the lights stay on. I pull the small relay that is second from the top of the left column. However doing that you also disable your windows too.

yammerslammer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never had success with the WD-40. I used some Dupont silicone spray that I bought from Lowes. Took about a day and a half to work, but I havent had the problem to return. Just dont forget to hit the rear door & window also.

starbuck478

Reaction score
i had this problem forever with my 03 xlt. a good way to diagnose which door it was for me was drive around a bit with the lights on and door ajar sensor still on and eventually the interior lights will go off, then open each door one at a time and if the lights dont come on, that is the door with the problem. at first i thought it was the door lock acutator so i replaced it and still no luck. couldnt find a discription that seemed to match up for the fuses so i checked them... all of them, still no luck. i then identifyed the power wires for the door ajar sensor cliped em and spliced em together. this isnt really a fix but it tricks the car into thinking the door is closed all the time. not a good idea if you wanna keep the door ajar sensor functionality for that door but since id rather be able to use my interior lights and speedometer lights at night it worked for me

kargh

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my expe. I have narrowed it down to the tailgate/rear window latch. I have tried spraying brake cleaner then followed it up with some pb blaster and once again with wd-40 and that fixes it temporarily.

One thing mine does you didn't mention is when the door ajar light comes on, usually the dome lights kick on also or the truck will not sense the doors are shut after we get out, so the lights stay on. I pull the small relay that is second from the top of the left column. However doing that you also disable your windows too.

I had this problem earlier this year. My solution was to remove the rear panel on the door and disconnect both sensors (door and window). This solved the problem. Plus, I'm able to drive around with the window open or hatch up if I'm hauling something and not have the dome on or Door Ajar light on. The only downfall is that the dome light doesn't come on when the door or window is open but ah well, I can deal with that.

gazbold

Reaction score
WD40 not good

Hi

Forgive me if you already know but the reason we find WD40 to be a temporary lubricant is because its designed to be temporary !

W-ater D-ispersant formula 40 is what the name is. It took the manufacturers forty recipes to get it right. Its supposed to be used to dispel water from electrical components and then DRY UP.

Use a light machine oil, perhaps something like 3-in-1 ?

Jdbayy1

Reaction score
Dome light stays on

I had the same problem and traced it to the rear hatch window sensor. I used electronic contact lubricant cleaner from radio shack and then silicone spray on all the sensors. Open and closed the window about 10 times and it worked. Been about 6 months, so far so good.