2008 Power seat issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I was driving my truck to work this morning and noticed that I was sitting a bit further back than usual. I went to go move the seat forward and noticed that it wasn't working.

The seat can still move up and down and the back rest moves up and down, but the seat won't move forward or back. I do hear a clicking sound.

I am writing this at work so I haven't had time to go check if it's a fuse or not, but after searching the forums it looks like if the whole power function wasn't working then it might be a fuse.

Any ideas? If it's not a fuse, it's obviously a separate motor than the up/down motor, would that be easy to replace?

Thanks!

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the other controls are working, my guess is that the forward/backward motor is toast.

OP
OP
FlyBoyd

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I talked to Ford and the part has to include the whole track assembly and the part is $575 bucks. There has to be a cheaper alternative than going with the stealer.

Anybody have any ideas??

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Junk yard or auto recycler would be your best bet if you want a used one. I can't see it being cheap anywhere for a new part.

OP
OP
FlyBoyd

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure its not your switch itself. I had to replace one of them recently.

Pretty sure its not the switch because when I move the switch back or forth I hear a clicking sound so that tells me that it's completing the electrical circuit, its just not moving the motor.

I'll try the hammer technique lol. All else fails give it a whack!

I'm pulling the seat this week to see if it's something other than the motor. I tried calling around to multiple junk yards and no one seems to have any third gen expy's. I guess that's a good thing for us expy owners! but sucks for someone like me that needs a part and doesn't want to shell out $700 for the stealer.

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was searching to make sure nobody had a solution to my problem that started AGAIN on Sunday, and found this post. This is the third time in 10 years my drivers seat did not go to the preset position when I put my key in. Same symptoms as OP, seat clicks when I put the key in the switch like it is trying to move forward. All other seat movement functions work.

The first time it happened, I had just detailed the truck. So I pulled the back seat mat out from under the driver's seat and jiggled all the wires under the seat and it started working again.

The second time it happened a few years later the driver's seat attempted to crush me into the steering wheel when I put the key in. I immediately removed the key, but the seat kept going forward so I hit the seat back button and it went all the way back once it stopped going forward (probably because I had pulled the key). After two weeks messing around under the seat, it started working normally again, no idea what I did or what fixed it.

This third time it has been going on for a day and a half so far.

96mustangV6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 98 navi started this last night. My wife was drivin i get and hit my preset. It moves back a lil but stops. I keep tryin and with every click it moved 1/2 inch. I stopped messin with it for 5-10 mins and tried again. It started movin fine. But if i kept movin it back and forth it would stop again after a few passes. Im thinkin the motor is dirty so it over heats. So imma see if i can take it apart and clean it and lube it up. Makes no sense why itll work then stop then work again if i let ut set for a few mins.