Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > 1st Gen - 1997 - 2002

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

1st Gen - 1997 - 2002

Dash won't light up anymore (2000 Exp.)

This is a discussion on Dash won't light up anymore (2000 Exp.) within the 1st Gen - 1997 - 2002 forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Earlier this year I lost all my dash lighting. At first it was ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dash won't light up anymore (2000 Exp.)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Earlier this year I lost all my dash lighting. At first it was intermittent, now they just won't come on at all. It's almost like something is loose though because once in a (very long) while, they will come back on for a few minutes then be gone again.

I also had the problem where the odometer wasn't lighting up consistently anymore either so I thought the two were related.

So, using information from the following threads, I attempted to fix both issues.

Odometer problem:

(Removing the cluster)
http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...r-97-03-a.html

(Fixing the actual problem)
http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...r-99-03-a.html

Dash lights not working:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/lig...t-how-fix.html

Unfortunately for me, the 2000 Expedition cluster doesn't have the parts referenced in this link. The three wires, the fuse, etc. just aren't there.

Does anyone know where these parts are on the 2000 Expedition, or more importantly, how to fix the problem?? I don't mind the darkness at night, but I can never see exactly how fast I'm going!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Mods:

K&N Filtercharger
Gibson Cat-Back SS exhaust
ryandelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

technical advisor

Ryan, if you lost all of your dash lighting, then odds are you have lost the dimmer control module. That is built into the headlight switch. So, get yourself a new headlight switch, remove the headlight switch and that should fix your problem.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Thermo.

Is there a way to somehow test that before I go buy another one? Is that the part that you spin up/down to dim/brighten the lights? If so, I can spin it all the way up and turn on the overhead lighting in the vehicle. Not sure if that's an indication that the switch is ok or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Also, I've checked fuses, etc. and none of them seem to the be problem. Not to mention that once in a very long while, the lights do work which leads me to believe it can't be a bad fuse.

Ryan

Mods:

K&N Filtercharger
Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

technical advisor

Ryan, you will need to pull the headlight switch out and then find a light blue/red wire. Put the red lead on the light blue/red wire and the black lead on chassis ground. Then with the headlight switch not in the OFF position, if you are seeing voltage on this wire, then the problem is the wiring inside the dash. If you don't see any voltage there, it pretty much confirms the dimmer module is toast.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thermo,

That's great news. I just did what you said and there was no voltage at the switch. In addition to that, I realized that the odometer, stereo LCD, and HVAC LCD (which still work), don't dim when you spin the wheel up and down which further supports your assessment that the dimmer itself is shot.

I'll go ahead and order a new switch and see if that resolves the issue. I'll keep you posted, thanks for the help!

Ryan

Mods:

K&N Filtercharger
Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just an update on this thread in case anyone else has the same issue. I ordered a replacement part, Motorcraft SW5980 for $69 from Amazon, got the part yesterday and promptly replaced it. Much to my surprise, it worked and solved the problem with all the dash lights. I had forgotten how many things light up in the truck at night (door lock buttons, steering wheel controls, HVAC controls in the rear, rear window buttons, etc.)

If anyone else has the problem where your odometer, time on the stereo, screen on the HVAC control unit, and the overhead compass work but no other lights work, replace the light switch/dimmer combo. It's really easy to replace yourself (pop out the unit, unplug two wire harnesses).

Thanks again for your help Thermo!

Ryan

Mods:

K&N Filtercharger
Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

technical advisor

ryan, not a problem. Once you know how the truck is wired up, a lot of the electrical problems are easy to figure out.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey guys. I just got a 2002 expy eddie bauer edition a few days ago. I am having the exact same problem with the cluster lighting as well as radio buttons, door panel buttons, etc not lighting. I can turn on and off the interior dome lights and head lights, but nothing at all illuminates at night (except overhead compass). Will replacing my headlight switch fix this issue as it did for you???
GilGraue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine, in which case, the answer is yes, I am confident that will solve your problem. Seems like the switch just wears out over time and loses contact, so replacing the whole unit solves the problem. My lights are still working to this day after replacing the unit.

Good luck!

Ryan

Mods:

K&N Filtercharger
Old 06-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Re: Dash won't light up anymore (2000 Exp.)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I actually replaced the fuse under dash as well as under hood. Both with 25 amp fuses. No issues at all now

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
GilGraue is offline   Reply With Quote