Need advice please. Possible Limp Home mode but no service wrench or tranny codes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bomanseti

Reaction score
Hi all. Lots of good info here so looking to see if i can get some answers as well.

1997 Expedition XLT 4WD 5.4l Engine FR100 Trans. 235,000 miles.

I bought this vehicle used and have fixed several things on it already. It had vacuum leaks and a bad coil pack on cylinder one. I found and fixed the vacuum leaks, replaced the egr valve, the o2 sensor for bank one, changed the oil and oil filter and put in a new air filter. I also replaced the coil pack and spark plug on cylinder one. Vehicle was running like a champ. I made a trip to West Virginia to deliver some furniture and all of a sudden the vehicle acted like it had dropped into Neutral and rpms raced when stepping on gas. I pulled over to the side of the road and let it set for a min and started off again normally. Short distance down the road it did it again and this time it made a grinding sound trying to go into park. I let it rest and tried going back into drive but it would not register in any gear but reverse and park. I finally tried going into A4WD and was able to get it to a gas station. After that I could get it to go into gear but would basically not go past second gear. I got it transported home from west virginia and I have changed the transmission fluid and filter. There were no metal flakes or debris in the pan.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably looking at a trans rebuild. If you go that route it wouldn't hurt to service the transfer case.