00' xlt monster!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treycool94

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so how much will it cost if i do all of the coil plug things and spark plugs and what brands do you use

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
trey, for my 01 expy, if i were to take it into a shop, it would cost me just under 400, just to change plugs. COPS are gonna run you another 200 or so in parts, so all together you can expect to pay at least 600 for a shop to change all plugs and COPS...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Trey, too bad we didn't live a little closer together (I'm in Great Mills, MD). I would stop by and give you a hand with the plugs. Not that difficult, just need to be a little patient and be able to move your hands just so.

As for brands, stick with major brand names and don't go with the "fancy plugs". When I say fancy plugs, I am talking about the Splitfires, the Bosch +4's/+2's, or any other "multi-point" spark plug. Stick with with a classic spark plug but that is what is referred to as "double platinum" (ie, both the electrode and the center conductor are made out of platinum). This will ensure that you don't have to change the plugs for another 100K miles. You can use lower grade plugs (they are cheaper), but then you are going back in at say 50K miles and changing them out. After doing the plugs, you will gladly pay the extra $2 a plug for the double platinums. Most guys have had good luck with the Motorcraft plugs (what came in your truck stock), NGK's, and Autolites.

Please keep in mind that I never said that the fancy plugs don't work in your truck. they work just fine. But, don't plan on getting any benefit from them. The only "benefit" is a lighter wallet.

hellrazer

Reaction score
dont know if it will help much but if you got some time to wait i found my cop on ebay for a fraction of the price of anywhere else. just throwing it out there. mine has been in probably 12,000 miles now and i havent had any issues.

Jason

treycool94

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i plan on doing the work myself i have an auto tech class it is just the fact that i have never done this b4 and have no idea what im doing. is there any dos and donts when working far back on the engine?

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just my o2 use motorcraft plugs they have aluminum threads there is a good and very helpful writeup on here somewhere. and i would get the cops on amazon or ebay. do NOT use anti-seize on threads and tq to spec. i did alot of research and my cousin is a ford tech and said thats correct. use a tq wrench trust me too tight and there goes all three of the mighty threads that hold the plug in and too loose and they start to move then blow the threads out thats why i use and highly recommend the motorcraft with aluminum threads on the plugs as well and no antiseize i have done a few 5.4 motors so far and no problems. look in my photos and you can see what one of my plugs looked like if you have questions you can pm me and ill give you my number and try to walk you through it as best as possible ford told me 600 plus just to change plugs thats why i have done a few engines so far i have done family members and co-workers trucks. i love these thrucks and am happy with the engine but this is one time you have to go by the book or you will be in trouble

dwinch82

Reaction score
something to watch out for

I just did the plugs on my 01 with the 4.6L in it. Watch out for all of the vacuum hoses around the engine. I knocked off a hose on my EGR pressure sensor. The code did not spit out til after I had made a 400 mile road trip.

But once I got the code read and looked for it I found the hose that was off and put it back on. And as previously stated patience and having a very large vocabulary of swear words is a must for this job.

I also just used the four dollar a piece motorcraft plugs and my expy is running great.

Good luck and hope it goes well for ya

David