01 eb, 5.4 rattle from passenger bank above idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So we have put about 2,000km on our 01 eb. I decided to do an oil change. on friday I changed the oil with 5w30 mbil 1 synthetic, along with a napa gold filter, last jnight we developed an on idle rattle from the passenger bank. it sounds bad. like valvetrain noise or piston slap at around 1200rpm when feathering gas.not above, or below, or at idle. wondering what to do. My buddy at the ford dealership says replace the one bank of plugs to rule out a plug getting ready to blow. and an engine flush and another oil change. what you all thing of this?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
It would help if you posted video of noise.

I would definitely check the plugs as your buddy mentioned as launching the plugs is fairly common on the 2v motors.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if your hearing the PCV valve rattle, pull it out and put your finger over it see if it stops. When you do this do it at 1200 rpms

OP
OP
B

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well it we pulled the serp, and the noise occurs from #1, sounds like piston slap to us. metallic tapping noise from the top of the cylinder. I bought motocraft plugs, all new accell cop's , oem ford filter, and will run an engine flush through the engine and do another oil change. strange it started after I did a service. Or the ticking exhaust manifold masked it, I repaired that to the day I did the oil change.

OP
OP
B

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'Wow, forgive my bad grammar! No good on a mobile keyboard! So the pcv valve was buzzing, we took care of that, flushed and changed the oil again with a motorcraft filter. Changed all the plugs with motorcraft parts. Only here the noise after fully warm and just lightly accelerating from stop signs. I trhink we are just going to pretend its nothing and see how it goes, If it was all the time, or happened anywhere other than 12-1400 rpm I'd worry. I've talked to a few other f150 owners and they just said get use to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deena