2013 Expedition EL Misfires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sturym

Reaction score
Hello all - I'm new here, and looking to see if I can get other input from folks who know a lot more about vehicles than I do. I'm an IT Systems Engineer by trade, and only started working on vehicles with our 2005 Toyota Sequoia and now our 2013 Expedition EL. First things first, a background...

We needed a 8 seater to replace the Sequoia (we have 6 kids, it's at 255k miles) and so we found a used 2013 Expedition with 137k miles on it. We bought it from a dealer, and denied the warranty (they wanted nearly $75/month more on a 5 year loan for a 2 year/24k mile warranty. I figured we knew a good mechanic if anything goes wrong. Literally just after we bought it and it went past the 7 day return/exchange policy, we started getting random misfires (blinking CEL) when accelerating fast, like on highway ramps. Additionally, the left side IWE Actuator was bad... but I've since replaced that and it's working great.

We took it to a mechanic, and he said it was spark plugs and coil packs. We replaced those (all with Motorcraft parts), but it actually got way worse. We had a family trip down to Iowa, and it wasn't until we got 50/100 miles on the road when the misfires started happening. It was typically when accelerating up a hill and when it needed to be given a bit more gas. I used a code reader to see Cylinder 4 (typically) and Cylinder 8 (less frequently) were getting misfires. We were already on the road, and found that if we lightly feather the gas, then it didn't misfire nearly at all. We made it to Iowa, and after being down there for a few days and driving back (around 800 miles on the engine) it actually seemed to be doing really well. Then the Wednesday after it all went to hell again.

It typically only starts bucking and the blinking CEL comes on after it's got some type of load, like when going up hill. It will, however, idle rough and you can feel the misfires happening when idle. I've taken the coil packs out on Cyl 4 and 8, cleaned them, blew out the spark plug well, and reseated it with dielectric grease again - didn't seem to help. I didn't remove the spark plug as I didn't have the proper tools at the time and it's a pain in the ass to get back there (rear on passenger side). Recent developments were when my wife took it through a car wash and the blower was blowing on the front grill, it started bucking like mad and misfiring on her. It wasn't until she moved it past the blowers that it calmed down. We've checked the air filter and it seems fine. At this point, we replaced the MAF sensor per the suggestion of a friend.

We've used Seafoam in the gas tank (we had about 4 gallons of gas left and put 2 x 16 oz cans into the tank and ran it to 5 miles to empty) incase something was gunked up, but it made no difference. We tried to use the Seafoam top engine cleaner, coming at it from the top of the air intake, but I don't know this was successful as we found a lot of it in the air intake reservoir near the air filter. My thought is it may have accidentally been spraying down on the tube and accumulated and drained back into the reservoir. I made sure to do it near the throttle valve (down stream from the MAF), but I'm curious if I screwed up somehow. We actually don't remember seeing any smoke/exhaust that was out of the ordinary when I did it. I may try this again and go at it without the air intake connected, spraying it as far back as I can go.

I tried swapping Cylinder 4's fuel injector with Cylinder 1 to see if it was possible it was a fuel injector not providing enough gas, but this made no difference and the misfires still indicate Cylinder 4 and occasionally Cylinder 8.

At this point, I'm not sure where to go next. We're trying to limit the expenses, so we've been focusing on what we can do without replacing parts or taking it in to a mechanic. From my understanding online, we could be looking at a vacuum issue, a compression issue, or some other type of mechanical failure. Any other thoughts on what I can try next?

TLDR; We've replaced Spark Plugs, Coil Packs, a Mass Air Flow sensor, and swapped Cylinder 4 Fuel Injector with Cylinder 1 - all to no avail. Still getting misfires on Cylinder 4, and occasionally on Cylinder 8, when the vehicle is under load, but sometimes at idle as well. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like it misfires more frequently when driving with a headwind.

Reaction score
I went through al the fixes you did and went to a new oil pump & timing parts and still had the misfires.
When I replaced the valve springs and seals it was cured...

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I know you replaced the spark plugs and coils and they are all new, but occasionally new items are defective. I've dealt with misfire issues as well on my Expeditions, and in my case it was usually either a coil pack or a spark plug. If I was in your shoes, I would swap the coil pack and spark plug (those rear spark plugs could've got damaged when they were installed and may be allowing spark to go where it shouldn't) from those cylinders to a different cylinder and then see if the misfire moves. If it doesn't, then you know for sure that you've eliminated that possibility. I would also check the wiring from the coils and see if there's a break in it somewhere where it could be shorting out to the engine or a ground. The fact that it did it really bad when in the car wash, makes me think there could be something shorting out to ground somewhere when it gets wet or when the engine is calling for more power under load.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I also had a situation on my 07 expedition where the heater core pipe was directly over one of the rear coils. It had developed a leak and was putting water down into that coil well where the spark plug is. And that was causing it to misfire occasionally.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've changed the coil to another cylinder, so that's ruled out. You also had more issues during a car wash, which seems like an electrical issue to me. Let's look at the other items that might be causing the issue:

1. Plugs. Try moving the plugs from cyl 4 to another location. Yes, it's a pain, but it's the cheapest thing to try.
2. Water intrusion from coolant lines. The coolant lines with the tee fitting that run above cyl 2 and cyl 3 (passenger side) are known to leak coolant into the spark plug wells and cause misfires. This won't cause a misfire in cyl 8, and also not likely cyl 4, but since you had misfire issues during a car wash, it's something to consider.
3. Coil and/or injector connectors. The connectors on my '07 went bad slowly over the past few years. The rubber sealing ring inside the connector would rip and prevent my from fully connecting the coil or injector. I replaced all 8 coil connectors back in 2020 and the injector connectors this year. This ended up fixing my misfire issues.
4. Injector. The fuel rail is fairly easy to remove. Change the injector from cyl 4 to another cylinder and see if that helps or not.
5. Coil boots. These are cheap to replace and there are reports of them developing carbon tracing or cracks, especially at this age.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
You've changed the coil to another cylinder, so that's ruled out. You also had more issues during a car wash, which seems like an electrical issue to me. Let's look at the other items that might be causing the issue:

1. Plugs. Try moving the plugs from cyl 4 to another location. Yes, it's a pain, but it's the cheapest thing to try.
2. Water intrusion from coolant lines. The coolant lines with the tee fitting that run above cyl 2 and cyl 3 (passenger side) are known to leak coolant into the spark plug wells and cause misfires. This won't cause a misfire in cyl 8, and also not likely cyl 4, but since you had misfire issues during a car wash, it's something to consider.
3. Coil and/or injector connectors. The connectors on my '07 went bad slowly over the past few years. The rubber sealing ring inside the connector would rip and prevent my from fully connecting the coil or injector. I replaced all 8 coil connectors back in 2020 and the injector connectors this year. This ended up fixing my misfire issues.
4. Injector. The fuel rail is fairly easy to remove. Change the injector from cyl 4 to another cylinder and see if that helps or not.
5. Coil boots. These are cheap to replace and there are reports of them developing carbon tracing or cracks, especially at this age.
He actually didn't swap the coils to another cylinder. Only took them out and cleaned them and put them back in. So he should still do that to eliminate the possibility of a bad coil. And the coil boots would have been replaced when he replaced the coils. At least on every one I've ever done they come new with the coils.
And he already tried the injector swap you mentioned.
Great ideas on the connectors. I hadn't even thought of that.

Reaction score
I say change the fuel filter. It is often overlooked. A blocked filter will starve the engine at high load but supply enough to run normally when driven gently.

OP
OP
S

Sturym

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input - I've found the main culprit:

missing.jpgrocker.jpg

After checking the cam lobes and seeing no damage, we went and got a replacement rocker arm. Put it in and the main misfire issue is gone. We're still having an intermittent misfire, but the longer we've driven it, the less frequent it seems to happen. Not sure if pulling the battery connector for 30+ minutes would help with that if the PCM has learned to deal with the misfiring cylinder? I appreciate all the input. I've contemplated getting a diagnostic reader that can give me real time data so I can see which cylinder is misfiring when it still does. This fix was good for cylinder 4, but if cylinder 8 was still misfiring, I'd want to address that as well. We didn't have time to pull the valve covers on the driver side yet - might be a project for a future week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett