01 wont go in drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

driven2defiance

Reaction score
I have a 2001 expedition with the 5.4 triton. r, 1st, and 2nd work fine but wont move in Drive. if I start going in 2nd and then shift to drive it shift fine through all the gears but if I stop it just slips again and I have to start in 2nd. about a week ago both the lower rear trailing arms broke when I was back in Wisconsin. also causing the yoke to break at the rear axle housing on the drive shaft. I removed the drive shaft and it drove fine back to my friends house 40 miles away. (only has awd, 4lo, and 4hi) do bring it back to Minnesota I loaded it on a car dolly backwards and put it in neutral. so I towed it backwards for about 20 miles at 55 to 60 before I decided to strap the rear end in and turn it around. when I went to turn it around is when I realized drive didn't work. any ideas what it could be? I did notice that there wasn't any fluid on the transmission dip stick when I got back to Minnesota but the was before we left to go to Wisconsin.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the front wheels were on rolling on the ground? Did you remove the front drive shaft? Supposedly driving with it on a car dolly with the drive shaft still connected can damage the transmission because the fluid doesn't flow since it's not running and your bearings will wear down. I don't know if it's true or just a precaution.

Also you can search for this kind of transmission problem on google and probably get your answer, but it sounds like it's time for a rebuild.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yep. Agree with the above. The tranny pump is located on the input shaft with an automatic. When you roll with the drive wheels on the ground the tranny must spin but the pump (input shaft) is not. Who knows what kind of damage this can do??

That's why when you tow your 4wd you should use a flat bed unless you have means to disconnect the drive wheels from the tranny.

Check your owners manual!!

The 01 has no means to disconnect the front drivetrain short of pulling driveshaft.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

driven2defiance

Reaction score
so do I need a new torque converter too? or can I just get the rebuild kit? is there any way to test the torque converter? I see that there are metal filings on the stick and I lost all gears but 2nd.

Last edited: