03/06 Rear Hatch Glass Defroster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently got my windows tinted. I was cleaning the truck today and noticed that they disconnected these square things from the glass. Upon close inspection it seems I can't just attach them back on. It looks like they were held on by some sort of adhesive. The problem is they tinted over the original mounting points. :( How can I attach them again to their OEM locations?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At a minimum, you will have to remove the tint where it is over the contact point and re-adhere the wires with a proper adhesive that will allow the defroster to still work. But if they damaged the contact in any way, you may be out of luck. I would go back to the shop that did the tint and have them remedy the situation. If they are a reputable shop, they will fix it.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're talking about the black, square "blocks" which the two pigtails attach to on either side? Then yes, you'll have to get that resoldered. I can see why they would detach it, though I don't know why they wouldn't just have cut a little square for the opening and slid the pigtail through the hole. Sure, it might have required two people, but it would have looked better.

From what I'm reading, it shouldn't be an issue to tint over defroster lines and still use the defroster (some people wait a bit before using it, though) as long as they are a good installer.

As a side note, you didn't notice the pigtails just dangling there when you check the liftgate, or on the ride home? Or you didn't check the tint before paying?

Either way, I hope you get it resolved soon, and hopefully they won't give you grief because you've already signed, paid, and "accepted" the job as complete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope I didn't notice. I put 5% over the factory rears, and it is DARK. I like it though. So what exactly needs to be done to get them back on there?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
youll have to resolder the contacts back to the defrost metal pieces that are on the window. just take it back to the shop. if they give you fuss then tell them off. they shouldnt have to remove anything to do tint. ive never herd of them removing defrost contacts. ive seen them take them off and put them back on to get the job done good but not just pull them off and leave them. just take it back. if they give you fuss then talk to the manager then if that dosent do anything right a nice letter to theyre board. they have to talk to some one higher up. then never go back there again. haha