03 expedition forscan help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expeditionRob

Reaction score
Hello all! Im hoping this is the correct thread to post on (first time here). Im trying to connect to my 03 expedition with forscan but the only modules that show up are the IC module and the ABS modules. Im thinking its the obd2linkEx that I need help with. So forscan can pull up all the modules the truck has. Thank you for your help✌

Tractmec

Reaction score
Hello all! Im hoping this is the correct thread to post on (first time here). Im trying to connect to my 03 expedition with forscan but the only modules that show up are the IC module and the ABS modules. Im thinking its the obd2linkEx that I need help with. So forscan can pull up all the modules the truck has. Thank you for your help✌

IS this "Show up" only in the Configuration and Programming tab(Chip Icon) or are these the only modules that are listed in the Modules tab(Car Icon) If all the modules this truck has and readable with the EX are listed in the modules tab under PWM and ISO network trees then the EX is likely reading all that it is able to on this vehicle
The PWM network should list PCM( PWM FEPS not configurable yet in FORScan and not with an EX) TPM(Tire pressure Monitor if equipped and AsBuilt only) IC or IPC(may have TPM warning configurations) and ABS(may have IVD or Vehicle Stability configurations).

ISO network should have Parking aid(if equipped), Restraint control and Air suspension (if equipped, and all will have only AsBuilt)!

There is a Network that will NOT appear with an EX adapter in the network tree called Uart Based Protocol(UBP), and the EX or any FTDI based adapter will not read this UBP network! And Yes FORScan can read this network but only with a Ford VCM2 adapter or a good VCM2 clone!
Unfortunately this network can only be read with a FORD VCM2 adapter or a J2534 adapter with UPB capability(have not found a J2534 with the ability so far)!
Again depending on options this UPB network will contain the Vehicle Security Module(VSM contains Remote Keyless Entry(RKE) and Alarm functions ) Heated seats, Drivers seat, Automatic or Digital Temperature control(if equipped) and 4X4 module!

Depending on the options this Expy was shipped with, that may be the only Configurable modules you will have in any trim level other than the Eddie Bauer Edition without a VCM2 adapter (I have an 03 Eddie Bauer and a VCM2 it is a Clone but it works)!

Sorry, But those are the Facts and there is likely nothing wrong with your EX adapter!

MesaGuy

Reaction score
EX works well with Gen1 Expy's (1999-2002), and less well with 1997/8 Gen1's. With Gen2 Expeditions (such as yours, e.g. 2003-2006) Ford very much changed the communication networks. Gen1's used low and MS (Middle Speed) CAN, and that allowed OBDII, IC, PCM, ABS, GEM to be read. IC=Instrument Cluster, PCM (Powertrain Control Module, e.g. Engine & Transmission on Expy), ABS (Antilock Brake System), GEM (General Electronic Module, 4x4 Shift Motor, VSS and part of speedometer control, part of ABStoVSS, 4x4 Knob). (Never noticed if SRS is supported on Gen1...)
Also allows PCM's TCM component solenoid test, cylinder dropout, ABS flush, and a few other things.

On Gen2 2003-2006 Expy's, I think you need a VCM2 unfortunately, for anything other then OBDII, IC, and ABS. Ford moved many of the other modules to higher speed (or just different) communication networks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire