03 Expedition won't go over 20MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2003 expedition, Eddie Bauer. I get regular oil changes and had my tires done in 2015. I am a single mother of 5 and cannot afford to get new tires all the time. Anyway, two weeks ago my truck just stopped driving faster than 20MPH. I had my brother (mechanic) check it out for me.
These are the PO codes I had:
PO304
PO405
P1405
P0171/74
PO301
PO316
PO302
PO306

My brother changed the spark plugs and replaced my coil packs thinking this would solve the issue. His mother's truck (F150) had the same problem and replacing those parts solved the issue. But for me, it didn't do a thing.
The codes I have remaining now are:
P0174
PO300
PO301
PO302
PO316

Can anybody tell me what the problem could be? My brother is stumped and I have been stuck in the house, asking for rides for two weeks now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Get under the car and physically check the wiring to the O2 sensors, make sure none are spliced or cut. Examine the wires through and through again.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0174 - System to Lean (Bank 2) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors the fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information. See Possible Causes for DTC P0171.

P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information. Air Measurement System
  • MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, malfunctioning, etc.)
Fuel System
  • Fuel pressure regulator (leaking, malfunctioning, etc.).
  • Fuel filter plugged, dirty.
  • Fuel pump (weak, check valve leaking, etc.).
  • Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
  • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
  • EVAP canister purge valve leaking (when canister is "clean").
  • Fuel supply line restricted.
  • Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).
Air Induction System
  • Air leaks after the MAF.
  • Vacuum Leaks.
  • PCV system (leak, valve stuck open, etc.)
  • Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
Exhaust System
  • Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss (exhaust manifold gasket, mating gaskets, etc.)..
EGR System
  • EGR valve tube/gasket leak
  • EVR solenoid vacuum leak
Secondary Air Injection
  • Damaged/malfunctioning secondary air injection system (mechanically stuck valve).

P0300 - Random Misfire The random misfire DTC indicates multiple cylinders are misfiring or the PCM cannot identify which cylinder is misfiring.
  • Camshaft position sensor (CMP)
  • Low fuel: less than 1/8 tank
  • Stuck open EGR valve
  • Blocked EGR passages
One or more EGR passages may be blocked or partially blocked. If this is the case the Misfire Detection Monitor will indicate the EGR port to check for possible blockage.

P0301 through P0310 - Misfire Detection Monitor The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause.
  • Ignition system
  • Fuel injectors
  • Running out of fuel
  • EVAP canister purge valve
  • Fuel pressure
  • Evaporative emission system
  • Base engine
The MIL will blink once per second when a misfire is detected severe enough to cause catalyst damage. If the MIL is on steady state, due to a misfire, this will indicate the threshold for emissions was exceeded and cause the vehicle to fail an inspection and maintenance tailpipe test.

P0316 - Misfire Occurred in the First 1000 Engine Revolutions P0316 code will be set in addition to any type B misfire DTC which occurs in the first 1000 revolution test interval, following engine start.
  • Damaged CKP sensor
  • Ignition system
  • Fuel Injectors
  • Running out of fuel
  • Fuel Quality
  • Base Engine
  • Damaged PCM
Freeze Frame Data and the P03XX DTC will also be stored, indicating in which cylinder the misfire occurred.

Read the attached link

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.6L-5.4L/troubleshooting-p0171-and-p0174-page-1

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being you had Coils and Plugs changed I would go back and check the wiring connectors to the coils and injectors Make sure they are clean and tight

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to have the valve timing and the timing chain inspected. Dont start the engine anymore.