03 Expy 4.6l Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boddkr

Reaction score
Hello All,
Firat, I would like to say thanks for all the post and information really has helped me with my Sparky. She is right at 240,000 and we have owned her for 35,000 of those. I have changed plugs, coils , PCV valve and thermostat since owning. She has been a great truck except gas mileage.

She has started leaking oil since last oil change. I noticed small spots at first now there about 9 inch wide circles. She is showing low on dipstick now. Hasnt ran hot nothing is crossed mix as in coolant in oil vice versa. I have done a lot of reading and am having a hard time trying to figure this out.
Advice or Suggestion Please!
Thanks

97eddieb

Reaction score
i would start out by checking that the drain plug and oil filter are tight, and make sure that the oil filter has only one gasket sealing it, sometimes when taking off an old filter it will leave the old filter gasket on there and when a new filter gets put on with an extra gasket it will leak oil

OP
OP
Boddkr

Boddkr

Reaction score
i would start out by checking that the drain plug and oil filter are tight, and make sure that the oil filter has only one gasket sealing it, sometimes when taking off an old filter it will leave the old filter gasket on there and when a new filter gets put on with an extra gasket it will leak oil

OP
OP
Boddkr

Boddkr

Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to get underneath with and clean with brake cleaner and investigate more. I hope it is something easy.

Jarheadmatt

Reaction score
I recently changed my oil filter adapter plate gasket. Not too bad, but you dump all your coolant. Part is only 15 bucks. It was a pretty decent leak. So time it with a coolant flush. Good time to inspect the bottom hoses as well.

Spicoli

Reaction score
I agree with jarheadmatt. My 04 was leaking oil. Looked like maybe pan gasket but after looking closer it was the oil filter housing gasket. Took about 45 minutes to change. Very messy since you loose about 2 gallons of coolant as well but very little oil. Part was $15 at autozone fot the.felpro gasket. Great video on youtube on replacing this gasket. Good luck. Let us know what you find out

OP
OP
Boddkr

Boddkr

Reaction score
I was able to do some inspection when I changed the oil. Right as I was getting into it my wife told me my son had a 104.5 fever so we had to go to ER and had to throw it all back together and get is there. Its been a lonnngg couple of weeks. Thanks for all the information and as soon as I can jump back into it I will let you guys know how I come out.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope your boys OK. On top of the items the others mentioned, check valve cover gaskets, and oil pressure switch.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk