04 EB 4x4 - Front End Noise Noticeable Above 50 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Long-Term Results?

It has been awhile since you did this bearing job. Which hub assembly did you use, and how has it held up?

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the FIX

I HAD the same problem.
I read all the forums, watched guys replace alot of parts and never fix this.

My dealership had a TSB (technical service bulletin) about the symptoms everyone is having.

I also, did my front rotors, pads and new tires...
Still there.

Dealer replaced the wheel bearings,
still there,

Transmission guy inspected a resealed the transfer case.
still there.

Then the TSB was found! ...JACK POT!!!!

Basically, the front drive shaft always turns and spins the front ring and pinion. This creates a condition where one side of the spider gears spins faster than the other side. ????? thats the noise???? YES!!!!!!!

O.K. how do you fix it? it is a spring that goes between the gears and keeps the spider gears from spinning at different speeds. NO MORE NOISE.:patriot:

Parts they used to fix it are listed below.

radioreciept_zps24476a0b.jpg

Last edited:

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That tsb is older than my truck, and I do not think that the 2nd gen drivetrain works the same way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my bad...
I was posting this on all the threads that had front end noise that was unexplained.

I am sure that all the early front ends are the same,
what year is yours?

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is a 2003.

don't be fooled by my screen name... lol

2003 and 2006 are the same front end.

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you suppose that since they issued a tsb in 2004 they might have changed production afterward?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you could call a service department at a Ford dealer and ask.

I did read the actual TSB on the dealers computer, the service manager showed me.

It did mention people in 2003's complaining.

The TSB is on that receipt, so you could reference it.

Good luck

RellyOhBoy

Reaction score
you could call a service department at a Ford dealer and ask.

I did read the actual TSB on the dealers computer, the service manager showed me.

It did mention people in 2003's complaining.

The TSB is on that receipt, so you could reference it.

Good luck
I'm wondering if this is the same noise I am hearing in my 03. Its driving me nuts that I cant track it down. Its like a low pitch "Whump....Whump...whump...whump.." noise. sounds like its coming from the front middle of the truck. No vibration, just the sound. It varies with the vehicle speed so im ruling out suspension components. It only seems to happen when the transfer case is set to 2H. I don't hear it in A4WD, 4H or 4L.

I also have a intermittent squeaking sound coming from the driver front wheel area. The sound varies slightly when I steer left and right, . Not sure if the 2 issues are related.

I haven't taken it in to my Quicklane yet. With a buck 70 plus on the odometer I'm well beyond any warranty period so I want to have an idea of the problem before I dig in my wallet.

Aerospace

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have an '03 XLT that had a high pitched noise that started at around 40mph and continued from there, ramping up to a howl at freeway speed. I swore up and down that it was coming from the front end, most probably from the front left wheel. Took it in to my trusted Ford mechanic, and he diagnosed the noise coming from the rear end. Long story short, new back end, and now the noise is gone.

I really could've sworn it was coming from the front!

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker