04 Eddie Bauer 5.4 defrost only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drivepirate

Reaction score
Hi all. I had the common defrost default issue that many people have experienced. After reading through the forums I had some ideas about the issue. My particular solution was not discussed so I thought I would share.

My Expedition has a purely electric environmental control head so no o rings to replace. Next I looked under the hood on the passenger side near the firewall. There are a bunch of vacuum lines that split and snake all over the place. Mine had some short sections that were severely corroded and one was even broken. I replaced everything with some old fuel line I had and BAM! Back in business.

So if you cannot change air flow to the floor or vent, check the vacuum lines from the manifold to the check valves and finally to the retention tank (plastic box aka what the hell is this for?).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you found a fix and posting your results.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
i'm thinking in the spring I should find all the vacuum lines and check their condition. they seem to be used by numerous systems on the truck 03 XLT

update: 2 days later, trying to troubleshoot a SES light problem ... find PCV elbow vacuum leak! Now I REALLY need to locate all the vacuum lines and see how healthy they are

Last edited: