04 Expedition Not starting, electrical/fuse/pats issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hard2Hear

Reaction score
Thanks to you as well Racenut. So this morning when it wouldn't start, the re-seating fuse 9 didn't work (for the first time since I started that practice). So I took off the cover to the steering column and had a look at some wires. I didn't see anything blantantly worn or disconnected. The the wire block on the left side looked interesting, so I started feeling around on those wires. I pushed some of them in to the block further and a couple felt kind of loose to me, especially the solid yellow wire. Anyways, the truck started up very strongly right after I did that. Maybe I fell backwards into something. We'll see what it decides to do the rest of the day.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The solid yellow seems to be the wire that powers the key removal solenoid. When you are in park, the circuit breaks, and it lets you take the key out. Don't think that one has to do with actually starting the truck.

OP
OP
H

Hard2Hear

Reaction score
Color me stumped.

This morning, I went to start it and it completely went black as usual. No lights, no dings, no guages. I opened the driver side door (interior lights didn't come on cause it was dead), then closed the door, then opened the door again (interior lights came back on), and the truck started.

I'm thinking of saying screw it and taking it to the dealer to let them sort it out. I'll just rent something for a few days. I think this truck is giong to make me lose my mind if I continue to search for this gremlin.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe a loose connection that "gets better" when you close/slam the door shut?

OP
OP
H

Hard2Hear

Reaction score
Resolved

So I replaced the fuse box yesterday morning and it has started like a champ for 2 days. Seems something in there must have gone bad. I'm hoping I don't have another PATS incident down the road as I have a strong feeling the PATS system blew up my fuse box.

Back to letting my wife drive the Expedition and getting to drive my new '11 Mustang GT! Thanks everyone for the input and ideas!

btw - a new fuse box cost me $182.77 from silver state ford parts. part # is 4L1Z14A068AB for reference of anyone who sees this in the future.

Last edited: