'04 Expy whining noise??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the Expy, just had it for about a month, so I am still learning its personality.

Every since the first day I drove it, I noticed a "wrommm wrommm wrommmmm" sound coming from the motor/outside during acceleration (past maybe 30 MPH), it increases slightly in pitch as the car gets faster, but quiets down when I let off the gas.

I call it a "whine" but it is not exactly high pitch, more in the mid range. First I thought it comes from the tires but it stops when I let the gas off (and the tires are still rolling). It is not exactly annoying but I have certainly never heard that from the other 10+ vehicles that I had owned.

I am not sure there is a "problem", maybe it is just the sound of the 5.4 Triton motor? I can learn to adjust to it, but would certainly want to know if it IS a problem so I can get it addressed.

Does anyone have any insight to share?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

04expo5.4

Reaction score
im having the same problem. its really high pitch?? i thought it sounded like a sort of vaccum leak or something

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've noticed with STRONG acceleration, both 4.6's and 5.4's (the modulars) develop a whine, almost reminiscent of a supercharger in the higher RPM's. If this is like what you describe then I've noticed the same thing, although I know nothing about the noise.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably the infamous rear differential whine. I had the rear diff replaced 3 times on my 03.

coffee_hound

Reaction score
I have a late 03 EB Expy with a 5.4, my differential whines a little too, It's been doing it for 30k miles since i bought it, It has 90k miles on it now and It isn't any louder or different than when I got the car.

CH