'05 XLT Sport changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much or how many changes I'll make to my Exp, but figured if I posted, I might be more likely to make changes. Today was the first item, I mounted a set of '09 4x4 front tow hooks. What good is a dirt toy hauler without a hook point for stuck vehicles..? I'll update soon with a photo. If anyone is curious, they weren't direct fits. I had to space the front bolt down 1/2" to compensate for the sloping frame rail. Cut up a couple of small pieces of aluminum bar stock I had lying around.
When I did this mod on my F150, I had to take the front bumper off. These hooks, $30 shipped off Ebay, came with the factory bolts and nut plates. So it was a bit easier. I used stainless safety wire as a fish tape to pull the nut plates around the main bumper and into the frame rails. Slick idea, I thought.

-Jon

OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not horribly exciting, but I finally took a couple pictures of the tow hooks I installed. They seemed a lot bigger off the Exp. I also wanted to share the joy of this cheap trunk organizer I found last fall. I bought it to use as a helmet box in my rally car, they fit perfectly. So, for $10 each I bought another on for the Exp., perfect for jumper cables, trailer hitch, frisby, towel gloves and even a spare square for another helmet...

-Jon

p.s. glimps of the rally car in the second picture...

Hook1.jpg
Hook2.jpg
HelmetBox.jpg

Last edited:

Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nice changes, my truck came with tow hooks but i've never used them... is your's a 4x4?

OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, mine is 2wd. I'm pretty sure only the 4x4's came with tow hooks.

-Jon

Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah that's true mine is a 4x4 i've been thinking of switching to chrome tow hooks

OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just go slow enough not to drop the nut plate down into the frame rail, where you would have to remove the bumper to get it back. I did one bolt just put in a half dozen threads, by finger first. Then the second bolt tight enough to keep things from shifting, but not final tight.

-Jon

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah that's true mine is a 4x4 i've been thinking of switching to chrome tow hooks

Let me know if you need to get rid of one (or both). I figure I need to at least have one in case I ever need to get pulled.

OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was a little like X-mas again this week. Hawk HPS pads showed up for the rear brakes that need replacing pretty soon and today I picked up the adjustable Bilsteins for leveling out the front end soon. It'll be about a month before I get the shocks on, but nice to have them in hand ahead of time.

-Jon

BilsteinFrnt.jpg

OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my first chance to use my Exp for the reason I own a full sized anything... I used it to tow my new, crazy toy out to play in the desert. I'm lovin it even more than my truck, tows great, handles great and putting the trailer back in the drive was a piece of cake with the hatch open.

-Jon

TowNToy.jpg

Last edited:

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey jrally, enough about the expy, tell me about that car? An old cellica that you lifted?? Is it 4x4 on a truck frame, or what exactly did you do there?? Curious!!