06 Expy XLT Noises ..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to this forum.

I have been reading about different noises, and thought I would share my "noises" with you because they are driving my crazy.

I bought a brand new 2006 Expy XLT Sport last September. The noises come when ever I drive my car on the highway on slightly uneven roads, or whenever I happen to change lanes and drive over those circular lane markers.

I noted that the noise comes from the ventilation outlets mounted in the middle of the roof. I guessed that because whenever I extend my arm and put a finger on them, the noise disappears.

Also, I am experiencing a tick (just like metals hitting each other) that comes from the rear right side somewhere next to the rear door. I noticed it happens at highway speed and when ever I accelerate from complete stop.

I will definitely take it to the dealer, but thought to get a clear picture before I go there.

Any ideas?

Regards
Ziad

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you get the noise when you close the vents completely? Your door noise may be the latch out of adjustment or someone on here was mentioning something about replacement door seals/latches......
Matt

OP
OP
Z

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I did read about the latches and related TSBs. That could be a solution. Today, the noise became more frequent and you are right about the doors as when I focused a bit, I realized that it could be the passenger front door.

As for the vents, even when they are closed I still get the noises. It seems that the roof is not attached well so when the car vibrates it starts vibrating and producing those noises.

Anyway, the car is due for the first maintenance and I will bring up all those issues with the service technicians.

Will keep you informed.

- Ziad

OP
OP
Z

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just an update and an observation !

The dealer did a good job in muting the noises that came from the roof, though they were not eliminated completely.

Now, the roof noises happen occasionally, especially in the morning. Will continue with them on this.

However, the noise that comes from the door was not fixed. They suspected the seat belt was the problem, but it was not.

Yesterday my wife was with me when the noises started to happen. She pressed the window glass of the passenger door at a certain spot and the noise stopped. The spot is located as follows - Horizontally: right, just next to the edge of the glass and Vertically: centered.

Did this happen to any one of you? Any ideas?

Regards
- Ziad

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 03. Had Ford replace all the door seals and drivers side door latches under a TSB. It did wonders for the ratling that was driving me nuts. If you do a search on this site someone had a print out of the TSB I am referring to.

OP
OP
Z

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
Just an observation .. Hope someone has a clue?

The noises from the ceiling happens because of vibration that happens only in the morning (when the car is cold) and disappears after my office hours when its is warm.

I suspect the suspension or some other mechanical part that causes the vibration in cold weather.

Any ideas?

Regards
- Ziad

Last edited:

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 03 as well. Back in December I had all four door seals on the truck replaced along with both drivers side door latches. This was all done under a TSB. I paid a 50 dollar deductable that was it. The truck is a lot quieter since the repair was done. However it did take a lot of ******** and bringing in the TSB to finally get the results I did.

OP
OP
Z

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
Originally posted by toocivil
I have an 03 as well. Back in December I had all four door seals on the truck replaced along with both drivers side door latches. This was all done under a TSB. I paid a 50 dollar deductable that was it. The truck is a lot quieter since the repair was done. However it did take a lot of ******** and bringing in the TSB to finally get the results I did.

Thanks toocivil,

I think the TSB you've mentioned fixes the door noise. Which TSB is that? My door noises used to happen on the high way, but now they happen 90% of the time even in town. My car is due for periodical maintenance soon and this time I will try again with the dealer.

How about the roof noises? I still wonder is it a mechanical part? is it wheels related? is it the suspension?

In the last couple of days, the roof noises were very minimal and I did not do anything in to that effect. So, I am unable to troubleshoot the problem and trace the conditions that may cause the noises. It is really confusing to me.

This happened in other cars I owned and the Ford is not an exception, but I am unable to understand the causes. One day noises happen in a consistent manner day and night, another day they happen only in the morning and not in the evening, and sometimes the car is quiet for a while.

In case someone thinks of the road, I use the same road daily from home to office and backwards.

... and the confusion continues ! :nono:

Regards
- Ziad

itsmarta

Reaction score
I have a 2003 xlt and had roof noises. the noise was a rattling sound. I discovered the roof rack was the cause. The long horizontal piece was loose in the connection to the moveable mounting piece. I shimmed the small opening with a couple of pennys and it ended the problem. The wind from driving would make the piece (shaped like a wing) vibrate in the slot. Heat and cold would make it expand and contract thus causing the intermittent roof rattle.
Hope this helps